How do you get treated seriously?

Anonymous
I used to be a pretty angry person, and that was true for most of my life. As a kid I was pretty bratty and ungrateful (looking back at it anyway, but I'm honest about it) and as a teen I was kinda violent and spiteful.

Corny as it is, I woke up one day and realized that I didn't want to be that kind of person anymore. I wasn't happy because I was always angry, I wasn't enjoying anything in life because I was always raging about something or another.

Fast forward years later, I'm now a 25 year old adult. Anyone who I've met since I became a better person thinks I'm an extremely nice person who never seems to get angry at anything. Anyone who knew me back then has practically all but forgotten the person I used to be. I volunteer around the community, I do random things to cheer up my friends and family when they're down, I even throw surprise birthday parties for people.

I appreciate the people that I've got, because I didn't really have them when I was younger.

But I'm still a very angry person. I've just learned to how to better hide it from people. I tease people, I joke around, and I suppose you could say that I'm the lovable goof that everybody knows. It's enough to get me to calm down without getting people to realize that I'm angry.

When I can't do that though, I'm stuck. Floored. I stay silent because I'll go into an angry tirade if I say something, I force myself still because I'm afraid of what I might do, I walk away before something happens.

And I'm worse off for it.

No one takes me seriously anymore. Friends and family scoff or angrily complain when I ask them to do something for me, they dismiss me when I sincerely try to give them honest advice and suggestions, and they say and do hurtful things without realizing that I'm pissed off because of it.

I don't want to go back to the person I used to be, but at least people didn't treat my words like air back then. How do I get people to take me seriously without blowing up at them?
How do you get treated seriously?
2
1