Back when you were a kid, how you were taught to learn the difference between good and bad?

alexsa
Today I witnessed how a man started to scold and keep hitting his toddler on the head because he was throwing a tantrum. In that moment I really wanted to go near them and stop him. Unfortunately I had to keep the social distance and I just tried to talk with the man. He didn't listen and walk away. The little kid was genuinly scared.
I know that in the past this old fashioned education was 'normal', but not justified if you ask me. Violence is wrong.
My parents never hit me. Not even once. I was a problem kid, yes! But they let me risk it and do my own mistakes. I turned out fine.
What are your opinions on this subject?
21
14