I'm confused by his texting behavior, why won't he initiate with me?

Anonymous
Basically I just became friends with this guy that I like before corona at school. now we communicate via text, mainly through the group chat. He's really good friends with 2 of my other friends (girls) and I told them about liking him and to help me out, so they formed this group chat with him.

anyways, he's great in person, talks and initiates convos, does favors, stares at me, smiles sometimes, etc. But he will NEVER initiate a single text with me. sometimes if he wants to say something to me, he does so through the group chat. like wtf, why won't he just privately message me? I don't get it. I'm constantly initiating texts with him, which I'm fine doing, but I want to make sure if I'm bothering him or not. He's the type of guy that's confident with everyone and outgoing, but I have a feeling he may be shy with me. If that's the case, I don't mind initiating texts with him. But I don't want to read this incorrectly and assume he's shy and end up bothering him by always initiating. by the way... He often will initiate texts with the other 2 friends in my group (they have bf's and he knows that), maybe bc he feels more comfortable with them... I don't know
I'm confused by his texting behavior, why won't he initiate with me?
Add Opinion