What does it mean when a guy you used to have a thing with only views your Instagram/Snapchat stories sporadically?

rkuchiki123
When it comes to viewing social media stories, I typically see people checking up on mine religiously (normally friends, and then randos who clearly just tap through stories) or never at all.
However, two guys I had a thing with in the past (one was a hook-up who wanted to see me again but I turned down, the other was a date), only view my stories sporadically (the one I went on a date with, more frequently than the one I hooked up). The guy I went on a date with was doing that before anything even happened between us. I know he's not the type to just tap through stories randomly, because I run an Instagram page he follows (it's for an organization we're both apart of) and he ALWAYS views the stories for it.
The guy I hooked up with started following me afterwards so I can't say how he would treat my stories before we hooked up, but I get the feeling he's not the type to not watch stories, since he's very active on social media. I feel like he checks my stories when I'm particularly on his mind, since he seems to look at them around the time we interact in any way.

I always see people debate on whether there's meaning if a guy always/never views your story, but never about anything in between. Is it possible they're trying to avoid it for whatever reason, but sometimes can't help themselves? Or is it something else?
4
1