Why would a guy tell you he loves you very very much but still not want to be in a relationship?

Anonymous
I dated a guy for about 7 months: we had a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship for everything but exclusivity. I wanted to be in an actual relationship and we talked about it two times but he always told me he had a bad experience in his previous relationship, he wanted more time to get to know me and he didn't want anything to change in our relationship. I kept going with this until we recently talked about it again and I decided to end it.
On our last talk when we ended things he told me he loved me very vey much.
I don't understand how some one can tell you they love you, treat you like a girlfriend but have things end because of not wanting to be exclusive?
Its been two weeks since and he hasn't texted me so I guess I have my answer right? It's just that to me I love you its a big deal, so i can't understand how someone can throw it like that so freely.
2
1