My ex has been sounding really depressed lately and wanted to talk to me, should I call him to see if he’s okay?

Anonymous
My ex broke up with me many months ago. We were together for 5 months. Yesterday it was his birthday. He made my last birthday the best back when we were together.(He broke up with me for reasons that didn’t make sense, but I think now I know why now). I really wanted to call him to say happy 24th birthday, but was feeling very upset because I haven’t slept in a while because of college and stuff going on in my family. I was so upset that I wasn’t able to speak clearly, so I handed the phone to my mom and told her to call him to tell him I said happy birthday and that I’m not able to because I’m going through a lot. When my mom called him, at first he sounded surprised that he saw that I was calling, but then he sounded very depressed when he heard it was my mom talking. My mom described it as his voice went flat and emotionless in a depressed way saying,“(my name) can talk to me. She’s always welcome to call me anytime. I want to talk to her, could you hand her the phone?”I was too extremely tired to where I was too agitated and upset to talk, but all I said in a breaking crying voice was that I can’t talk because I’m too tired and am having issues. Afterwards, my ex thought I was upset because I wanted to get back together with him (which really isn’t the case), so he told my mom that he says he’s just not ready to date yet and said again that I can call him anytime. He then said in a very flat and sad voice “well, I got to go eat dinner”and had to leave. When my mom told me how he really sounded depressed on his own birthday. I feel really worried about him. He’s been pretty depressed ever since before and the day of him breaking up with me, but it seems he became more depressed. I feel like this is the reason why he broke up with me which makes a lot of sense from the reasons he told me why, but didn’t make sense back then. I feel really bad for him and feel concerned about him. I’m still not sure what he would be depressed about, but Should I call him?
5
1