Why does he keep going back to his ex?

Lillyannex3
So there is this guy that for the past year and few Months o we have kinda had a thing but we have never taken it to the next level officially. We tried once but I told him I wasn’t ready to take it to the next level plus he was still seeing his ex and other girls so it wasn’t the right time. We remained friends and kinda still are but I’m just so confused. One minute he’s telling me he wants to be with me and that I’m it for him and how I’m everything he’s ever wanted in a woman And how he loves me and I’m the best thing ever to happen to him but then he turns around and gets a girlfriend or gets back with his ex girlfriend and he’s done it to me every time. I never bring up being together ever he always does Every time we hangout. he's going through a lot mentally right now and Says when he gets his life together he wants to try and be with me but then he just got back with his ex girlfriend. She gives him everything he wants and lets he do whatever he wants. I’m just confused why he keeps telling me he wants to be with me but it’s not the right time then gets back with his ex girlfriend. Is he in love with her and why does he keeps stringing me along if he is in love with her?
Why does he keep going back to his ex?
Add Opinion