Why did my ex say he was going to text me but thought he should give me space after ending things on good terms?

Anonymous
my ex and i broke up because he wants to focus on school and based off of experience, we dont want to do long distance. we had a final talk, we both cried and made things on good terms, agreeing that we want to be with each other possibly in the future, that we both love each other and dont want to be out of each other lives. he was insistent on this break being temporary despite me saying it should be permanent because i was heartbroken.
i dont know if i made the mistake of txting him a few days after he left asking how college was so far. he responded very quickly during the entire conversation asking how i was doing and stuff. he then asked me if i just texted him to check in and if i needed anything. i told him i was just checking in and he said he appreciated it and that he was gonna text me but thought he should give me space. i left the convo at that, is there something i should have said?
2
0