Can girls and guys be friends, even if they’ve both liked each other in the past?

Anonymous
My guy friend and I both has had feelings for each other but our timing has never been in sync and when it was we both didn’t speak on it. He said that he didn’t go for me because he has a rule that says no dating friends and he was afraid of me rejecting him. I likewise was scared of him rejecting me because of him telling me not to fall for him, but me and him has never had a normal friendship where we’re just strictly friends without flirting where everyone thinks we’re together. He said as of this moment he doesn’t like me but I’m asking the question can guys and girls be friends if they’ve had feelings for each other in the past because he tells me “i love you” and doesn’t say i love you to really anyone besides those really close to him (which is strictly his guy friends and i’m the only girl he’s said that has gotten close to him).
1
1