How would you feel if your boyfriend suddenly started getting clear nail polish on his nails?

Anonymous
My boyfriend just recently got clear nail polish applied to his nails after he took me out to get both of our nails done. We have done this before where he has gotten a manicure. I didn’t see anything wrong with it, because I understand that nails should be well-kept. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel very uneasy about the change to clear polish. I think it mostly has to do with my strictly old-fashioned upbringing, but it also has to do with how he carried himself after he got the polish on.

Right after we both were done and we had already paid, he kept looking at his nails, palm down with his fingers flexed outwards and then turning his palm up and curling his fingers in to examine the polish. He eventually asked the woman to paint his one nail again because it had smudged. She painted over it again quickly. Then he said he actually wanted her to wipe it off and re-paint it. Then when we left, he constantly worried about when it would dry so he didn’t mess it up. Then the following days, he’d show me his hands and mention they’re current condition and when I left for school he updated me about what condition they were in a lot as well. I also can’t mention my nails without him telling me about his polish too and it just throws me off. I probably shouldn’t be as bothered by it as much as I am. I am really trying to be open for his sake, but it is nagging at me.
Also, when I think about what would happen if my dad sees his nail polish, I die internally. He was raised up on toxic masculinity to the max. He would automatically see my boyfriend as gay and I don’t want to deal with that family drama. My dad would probably act all ashamed of our relationship. He has already made “jokes” to me about other stuff he does, and while I do stand up for my boyfriend, the whole thing makes me extremely uncomfortable. My dad is not very open-minded about any of this stuff.
Just…help. What would you do? Any suggestions? Please be nice.
9 mo
Solved: thanks for all of your honest opinions. I have learned that I need to be more open-minded if it’s something he truly likes. Plus the more I think about it the more dumb this little thing sounds in comparison to how good our relationship is. I’ll vote for mho as soon as possible.
5
2