Why would my guy friend mention in front of my friends that I took him snorkeling?

Anonymous
I invited him to go snorkeling with me, just us two. He said he enjoyed my company, but I don't think he would date anyone because he seems to enjoy being single and likes the freedom. In front of my other guy friends, he said I took him snorkeling and I was laughing when I saw how scared he looked. One of the guys who overheard it is someone who thinks I'm cute, a. k. a. a potential boyfriend for me. I told my guy friend how I'm a lowkey person and that I don't really tell people where I am or who I'm hanging out with. He agreed and said he is also lowkey about who he hangs with. Why would he announce to the group that I invited him to snorkel with me? This was his first time meeting all my friends, guys and girls.
3
1