Boyfriend says he has lost his phone and hit me up 3 days after?

Anonymous
I have quite a story to tell. I've met this guy online and we talked for a 8 months. We get on really well. (I must say he was commenting my looks sometimes when we met.) He told I make his day better. Than we started talking rarely and he was acting cold and distant. I've told him I had enough of him being like that. He apologized and said he wants to keep good relationship. Next few days after he called me for the first time in 8 months. After a few days he told me he likes me and wants to meet me in future. That he loves me also. He only sees me and all sweet things. We admited we like each other and for 2 months were acting like a couple. Texting and calling. Than as my birthday was getting closer he started acting distant. Ignored me my whole birthday and didn't even congratulate. Few days later he hit me up saying he lost his phone and he said nothing else. Did he lie about loosing his phone?
By the way now he is being inrresponsive again.
3
2