How do I tell a guy I’d like him to text me more without sounding clingy?

Anonymous
We’ve been out 5 times, but have truly only known each other about 3 weeks. He’s been out of town twice over those three weeks…so it’s definitely off timing to start dating (that and the holidays).
When we are together it’s great. We have great conversation and are very sexually compatible. The problem is texting. He doesn’t initiate texts ever. He’ll reply to mine, and always good things. He’s out of town now, and I’m thinking unless I contact him, I won’t talk to him until he gets back.
I have even given him an out quite a few times because I just kept thinking he wasn’t interested. Once we were suppose to go out on a Friday, and he didn’t text until 5pm. He wanted to reschedule…then changed his mind saying he didn’t want to. I let him know that if he wasn’t interested he could just let me know. He told me that he just got caught up that night but would let me know if he ever wanted time to himself, but he still wanted to see me.
The texting has truly been like this since the beginning (except while on the dating app) so it’s not like we went from texting constantly to this. Any opinions on this guy? How do I tell him I’d like to speak to him more? Am I being unrealistic for what is currently a handful of dates and knowing each other for 3 weeks?
1
2