What do people have against those who are overweight?

I don't see them as bad people. I also don't see it as my place to comment on their body either but for some reason people just don't like people who are overweight. Why the shallowness?

Most Helpful Guy

• No idea to be honest. Giving their negative opinions is usually going to help anyone, though constructive criticism might lead the overweight individual to consider a life change. Downright negative shallow comments are unwarranted and unjustified.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am an overweight person and have been for a long time. I don't hate on anyone for their body type, but I wanted to point something out to some of these commenters...

Before you judge a person, especially a girl, about their weight... ask yourself these questions.

1- Do you know her medical history? Certain conditions can make one gain weight, or make exercise impossible. Certain allergies can cut out food options as well. For example, I'm allergic to fish and stop breathing if I eat it.
    2- Do you know the medication she takes? Some medicines can make a person gain weight at a quick pace. My best friend went from being a toothpick to plus size over a short period because she began to take antidepressants and medications for her other conditions.
    3- Do you know her financial background? Eating healthy, working out properly, and even seeing a doctor occasionally for checkups: all super expensive. I live paycheck to paycheck and am uninsured. I buy what food I can afford. Sometimes it's not as simple as "just eat and work out."
    4- Do you know her life 100%? Last summer, I was walking at least 5 miles/day but now I have to work and I'm in school full time. I have bills to pay. I don't have time to incorporate exercise when I have 15 hour days between work and school.

So it's honestly not as simple as diet and exercise. Don't judge if you can't walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

What Guys Said 6

• unhealthiness and the fact that obesity is on the top list of medical conditions our taxes are being pushed towards to fund.
    Heck it's so bad in the US it is almost rivalling cancer in government subsidies.

Maybe If a couple people stop defending obesity and others stopped eating so much, we'd have more money to fund cancer research and help people with other diseases not caused by personal choice.

• See, when i see an obese girl it saddens me.
    1. She could be a decently attractive girl if she ate healthy and exercised. Instead female beauty is destroyed by layers of fat.
    2. So many fat girls around makes attractive fit girls as valuable as gold and silver amid piles of tin foil. It literally makes dating harder because the few slim girls get soooo much attention.

• they're bad for the environment. it costs too much fuel.

• Nothing. Only to those that are assholes and hate fit people.

• Noting.

• Nothing. They are the ones who are suffering, it doesn't hurt me in any way.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't see overweight people as inherently 'bad'.
    However, when I see two morbidly obese parents feeding their children who are under 10 with a big mac meal and mcFlurry for desert, I think it's selfish for them to not even give these children a chance to start life out healthy. Instead, they choose frugality and a matter of convenience over ensuring that their children grow and develop in a healthy manner.

• I think it's because they personally get scared thinking of themselves ending up overweight, or they stupidly believe the stereotypes about those who are overweight and thus proceed to run away from them as if they're hideous monsters. Then there's the environmental excuse, saying they "use up too much fuel" when we're all at fault for our own reasons. It greatly frustrates me since I'm overweight and have a serious food addiction, but I'm at the top of my class, I work hard, and I care about others. This is, in a nutshell, people judging others by how they look and using that to assume how they are on the inside. People who just constantly bash overweight people disgust me to no end.

• As someone who used to be overweight people usually do it just to be mean or just because. They think it's okay in their mind when in reality it's not. Anyone who has ever made a negative comment about my weight hasn't helped me one bit. What really helped me lose weight is myself accepting my body and it's shape. When I started loving myself I started losing weight. So yeah, it's usually just bc people are assholes and think they're helping when they're not lmao !!

• I sort of lost respect for obese people. There are people in the world who are starving! It's selfish.

• Because as much as they blame it on healthy, they don't like that they're bigger than they are so get on their high horse

• i don't care others

• Some people think that by being mean to overweight people they are doing them some kind of favor. In reality negative comments only stress them and make them feel bad about themselves, which in many cases leads to comfort eating. Obesity is a problem, but it can't be solved with hate and judgement and people who offer nothing but that are shallow and idiotic.