People who go to the gym?

People who go to the gym, what's it like going to the gym? Do you just go there with your head down and train or are there heaps of judgmental people? I want to join the gym but I'm really self conscious and I have this warped look of the gym being filled with people starring at you.

719

What Guys Said 19

• Nobody cares or looks/stares, they are focused on their own workout. Now, you might get some looks from guys, but they will be brief for the most part and all that will mean is they think you're attractive. I've never run into judgmental people at the gym and if they're there, they aren't going to say anything to your face. Don't overthink it. If/when you go, pretend you're all alone and nobody is there. Most people act that way at the gym. You might get a friendly "hello" but nobody is judging you or your body. They are focused on themselves and their own workout, not you. They could care less about you lol

• I hit the gym for myself. Usually I put the earphones, zone out and mind m own business. They also help with people aproaching and trying to start the conversation. I barely talk with anyone there. Before I start, yea.. but when I am ready, the talk is over.

• People seldom stare at the women. The only times I have seen that is when the women wear outfits that they seem to want the attention with. Tight and skimpy.

Also, some gyms have an area for women only if you are really nervous about it.

• My experience is nobody stares at you. Most people are in their own world. Go to a gym that will fulfill your purpose. Example: if you are doing weight training, join a gym with lots of free weights and cable machines. Find out the times they are open and if that works for you. Also, some have showers. Price check as well.

• the gym is exactly the place where you aren't judged at all, because the gym is the place to be when you want to work on your body

• Naw. I'm sure people check others out. And, there may be a creeper in the gym just like there could be a creeper in any setting. But, for the most part, people go in and get their stuff done. They put on their earphones and go to work. You'll be fine.

• if my martial arts gym counts (this is the weights part) everyone just minds their own business occasionally I gawk at what some people do effortlessly

• you are just overthinking it too much. dont overthink, mostly everyone there is very busy in their workout, so they dont have time to judge anyone in the gym

• Majority of people are simply focused on their own workouts , I haven't noticed if anyone stares , as I have always just done my own thing & ignored everyone else , apart from if I happen to bump into someone I know & may train with them.

• No one cares whay you look like. If anything they'll just check you out if you've got a prominent fundament

• People might stare at your ass but other than that, everybody minds their own business.
    if you workout with a friend you'll care even less about what others think

• No one actually cares.. But if someone has a great body people look anyway

• Get your head phones on and do your thing. Forget other people as they are most likely thinking about themselves and not you. Enjoy it ☺

• Id go at night. Less people. More focus.

• If you stand out, good or bad people will notice you. Just like anywhere. I personally have mad respect if I see a morbidly obese person busting their ass. Even more respect if their form is correct and they look like they know what they are doing. Even is someone if fit and their form is retarted I can't help but stare.

• I don't give a shit who looks at me I'm there to make my self stronger and healither

• Just plug in your earpiece

• I like it cause I get to let all my anger out

• people are always gonna check out the other humans at the gym. but it's not like 500 guys are gonna drop their weights to come hit on you. That doesn't happen nearly as much as people claim. And yeah, most people there are all trying to work on their bodies, so they aren't gonna be too "judgy". Unless you pick a gym with a lot of a-holes. lol

What Girls Said 7

• the majority of people don't care, I've never came across judgmental people, I honestly don't know where that idea comes from... we're all there for the same reasons. Even the most advanced lifter was once a beginner.
    From my experience, everyone is humble about it because it takes effort, passion, determination and discipline to work on your goals and everyone knows that. However, I know it is intimidating at first and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, so here's a tip for you, plan your workouts ahead of time, write down the exercises, sets and reps you want to do on a particular day or better yet, get in a program that outlines this for you, this will make you feel more confident since you won't be wondering around thinking about what to do next, this will no longer be necessary in the future, but it is good to start. Also, educate yourself, read about it. If you're looking to get into lifting, learn the science behind it and things like that, it makes even more enjoyable. The gym is an awesome place that allows you to challenge yourself every time, make sure you enjoy it! :)

• It gets very Monotonous.
    However, when I resided at the Ramada in a Residency program, I liked it Better when I could Close the Door and Have... No More. People, that is.
    Grin and Bear it when you Have to Share it are in this Slim Jim Gym Situation, or Sit Alone at Home and Work Out on your Own.
    Good Luck. xx

• *Some, hun, Guys will Like to try and hit you up, for sure. xx

• I used to feel self conscious, but now don't really care. No one looks, at least no more than people do when they pass you in the street and I'm there for a purpose. I've made a few friends along the way which has made it nicer though

• i've been going to gym alone since day one, i've never felt self conscious because i have no shame lol, i don't care what others do, and others don't care what i do nor does anyone talks to each other at gym besides asking if someone is done with something they want to use. everyone is more focused on their own workouts or their phones. there are some people that will look/stare at me and purposely work out near me but as long as you don't care, give them any eye contact while just doing what you need to do like they don't exist then they'll eventually stop and be on their own way. i don't keep my head down unless the workout needs me to like cable crunches

• I was suprised I really like it at the gym, most people are too consumed into their workout really
    I mean people will look, but everyone is always working out, doing something, so most focus on that
    Sure, there are gyms where tensions are a bit higher, but you can always change gyms and see which one suit you
    Irecommend it, working out at the gym is awesome

• In my experience, they are too busy looking at themselves.

• I went there, nobody cares what u r doing