Why is it more offensive to call an actual retarded person, retarded, than it is to call a non retarded person retarded?

This notions retarded right🤷‍♀️. Before anyone gets upset I’d like to disclose that my husband is, by medical definition, retarded.

1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Because actually retarded people know that they're retarded.. It's beyond their control and there are only few people who completely embrace that part of themselves.
    When you call a not retarded person a retard, it'd be unreasonable and only makes you look stupid yourself.
    If you said it to someone who actually is retarded however, it might be true but no one likes to have things pointed out that they're self conscious about.. Making them feel bad about something, they know, they'll never be able to change is simply not cool.

1|1
    0|0
    • Simply said.. Yes, it's the medically correct term.. There are retarded people who accept themselves and don't consider it offensive at all.. But there are also those, who are self conscious about it.. It might be part of the journey a retarded person has to take but rubbing it in their faces won't do any good either. It'd make them feel unreasonably bad.
      It also depends on how you use it though.. It'd be alright in a normal conversation, I'd say.

• Smart answer thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• Retardation - being a retard is on the spectrum of IQ, or the lack of...
    So it's factually correct, but it's considered rude... because it's seen as pointing it out or judging them for something they can't help/control.

If you just call a stupid people a retard (but is of mostly average intelligence) then that's a social commentary on the fact they do stupid things but they CAN help themselves do better in life... they just don't want to think... hence make stupid decisions.
    So it's more socially acceptable, although still rude probably (unless it's called for).

1|0
    0|0
    • But I think to call a normal person retarded is to use an actual retarded person affliction in a derogatory way.

• Show All
    • Yup, and retarded people don’t mind being admired for what they overcome.

• Definitely true. And they should be praised for things they achieve.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• I rather honestly have the truth be said than having speech be suppressed due to some moral obligation. Like the reason this conversation can even happen is because we are not choosing boundaries on speech based on subjective terms.

1|1
    0|0
    • I think I agree... although you’re much smarter than me 🙂🤔

• I mean, I guess I use big words. We all can be smart in some subjects compared to others. Doesn't mean you're not smart too. :)

• Because "retard" is a generalization and isn't specific to one mental condition. It's the same as calling them stupid. Sure, it's true, but it's insensitive.

1|1
    0|0
    • I think the term retard is offensive true, because it refers to the whole person, not the affliction.

• Yeah... but you see, it's a generalization. It can be used to represent anyone with a mental disability, from down's syndrome to mild asperger's. Using it in a derogatory fashion is insulting to people who might possess developmental disabilities. The derogatory use of "gay" and "faggot" has gone down drastically since people acknowledged it was insulting to homosexuals.

• Ok, I understand that, so if you specify there particular type of retardation, it’s ok?

• I think it stems from people using the word "retard" as a derogatory word rather than an explanatory word.

1|0
    0|0
    • Agreed, if able bodied people didn’t use the word to describe other able bodied people in a negative light, there’d be no issue with using it towards people who actually struggle with retardation. So it should be more offensive to retarded people when non retarded people are called retarded :) . Damn I used retard a lot on that rant.

• Show All
    • I call my husband a retard all the time, so I’ll see you there!

• I'll leave the gate open... But make sure you close it after you.

• Because jokes about retarded people are intended for your everyday person, not people with the actual condition. Back when we could use the word, we used it indirectly. It's just a ball buster. Unfortunately, some jerks out there use it to hurt people with the actual condition. These people are ruining the humor in our fucked up world.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because the actual retarded person you're making fun of the disability turn on retarded person's just stupid so they deserve to be called it

1|0
    0|0
    • But, it’s not impolite to acknowledge the journey that an actual retarded person must take to fit in.

• coz being retarded is not under that persons own control.
    some things are natural and beyond medical science even now.
    so pointing it out is not cool.

1|0
    0|0
    • True, but it’s not offensive to be retarded, it’s a factual condition, people with retardation aren’t stupid, they know they’re retarded.

• Show All
    • well if your husband is at peace with you calling that then he may be mentally retarded but he is a wonderful soul.

• He’s not mentally retarded, just physically retarded mostly.

• Well in my line of work we call them special needs. It would look bad of grown ups called children retards. But yes many people are retarded in their own ways. But for me ill stick with autistic or special needs.

1|0
    0|0
  • Politically correct bullshit. At least you call it what it is. I respect that. I appreciate that. I'm like you that way and I get these people getting all offended and shit. I'm offended at the fact that we're all a bunch of politically correct pussies!

0|0
    0|0
  • Retarded is actually the valid medical term for those with stunted mental or physical development. Same with spastic. Some insults have lost their original meaning, though, like idiot, which used to mean someone who suffered from epileptic seizures

0|0
    0|0
  • From my personal own opinion and behavior, I would feel that I am kind of being "Disrespectful" to that person if I am not using the word "Retarded" as it in a medical syntax my dear @wittymilf
    It is in fact a medical condition, but people use it also as an insult word!!!
    I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it to a person who actually happens to suffer from this medical condition :-(
    I am really sorry about your husband, I hope the love between you is making it up and you are living a beautiful story together :-)

0|0
    0|0
    • You’re always so very gracious, I appreciate you. Thanks

• That is very nice from you to say dear @wittymilf ,
      the pleasure is mine really to share my opinion, in total honesty :-)
      Besides, we are here for asking/answering humble honest questions/opinions.
      It is the least I can do when someone takes the time to ask a question, so taking it not serious and writing something fast just to say "hey I posted something" is not very polite nor thoughtful.
      Yes, I always take the pleasure and time to answer :-)

• sorry i couldn't help myself lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uMq-Pq-2E

0|0
    0|0
    • I think it is more offensive because they already have it hard so the dont need to be put down with words like that. It kind of like trying to encourage them to be the best they can be with their current disability.

• Show All
    • Ahh!! I can’t get the sound to go 🙄

• i agree with you it should not be a derogatory term but unfortunately it has been commonly used and tied to a derogatory term. I would imagine if you took any other disability and it was used commonly enough as a derogatory term it would suffer the same fate.

• We are all retarded one way or another... I don't think it offensive to point things out. Take it as it comes.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are stating the obvious... as if you didn't already know

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it’s often used as an insult. Or like calling a disabled person a cripple. Words change but meanings don’t

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s why it’s so offensive to call a non retarded person retarded. It’s not a derogatory term to a retarded person until it’s used to describe an able bodied person.

• Some subjects just confuse me dude 🙃

• Because its not politically correct.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you have to ask this, you must be retarded.

1|0
    0|0
    • I’m not, my husband is. He’s ok with the term, he’s not an idiot, he knows he has some forms of retardation. I feel its belittling to disregard his challenges.

• Show All
    • Retarded means slowed functionality, it doesn’t only relate to the brain. It’s a falicy that it relates to intellict, that concept is rude, therefore it should be more offensive to call a non retarded person, retarded.

• My husband is retarded due to an accident that left him with permanent brain injuries, this means he has partial paralysis. Slowed limbs due to his brain damage.

• Hahaha, you funny, I'm a retard too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Where does the name "wittymilf" come from?

1|0
    0|0
  • Bc it's not right

1|0
    0|0
  • Scientific, no point arguing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Since they have yet to be diagnosed it's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's never OK to call ANYONE retarded

0|1
    0|0
  • It's NOT more offensive to call a retarded person what they are.
    Although the word "Special" somehow got started to be used, which I always strongly disagreed with.

0|0
    0|0
  • coz you are abusing them with their weakness, for which they do not have any control.
    and you should be thankful that u r not one of them.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Retarded Is More Over A Word Used 4 Mockery/Offense. For Example If Some1 Is Being A Dipshit Then You Can Find Yourself Calling Him/Her Retarded. Whereas If You Call Some1 Who Is Disabled Retarded, Its Considered Rude Because Of My Previous Explanation Lol

1|0
    0|0
    • This is true! It’s not offensive to actually be retarded!

• Therefore using the term on a non retarded person should be far more offensive! To retarded people, not non retarded ones:) if you get me.

• Ye I Get You😂

• A Matter of Fact
    A Matter of Speech.
    *Doesn't take a Rocket scientist. lolxxoo

1|0
    0|0
    • It’s not offensive to acknowledge another persons struggle though?

• It’s more offensive because you’re using it to describe people who have historically and presently been denigrated and hurt by that derogatory term. There’s painful, discriminatory experiences that term brings up for those people.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you can't control what you are, but you can control how you behave.

1|0
    0|0
    • But retarded people know they’re retarded, it’s there life, it’s not an offensive term, it’s medical.. to call a person a retard however, that’s offensive as it makes the person into only their ailment.

• I really don’t like that word. It’s not even medically accurate.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both are offensive.

1|0
    0|0
    • But it’s ok to acknowledge a person struggles though!!

• Show All
    • But, the thing is , a person can be retarded and not mentally challenged. Retardation can occur in limbs or speech as a result of brain injury, but have no effect on intelligect. It’s kind of depressing that I know too much about this 😂😂

• My phone refuses to say intellect 😕ok well it’s learned it now 🙄🤷‍♀️

• The word has been changed.

0|0
    0|0
    • To what? It is still a valid medical term as far as I know, using it to describe people being silly is terrible though, it makes lite of people who actually struggle.

• That’s got to be more rude!

• I think changing the word is pointless because the new word means the same andvis then used as a taunt or insult. Then that word has to be changed to something else.

Recommended myTakes