Why is it more offensive to call an actual retarded person, retarded, than it is to call a non retarded person retarded?

This notions retarded right🤷‍♀️. Before anyone gets upset I’d like to disclose that my husband is, by medical definition, retarded.

825

Most Helpful Guy

• Because actually retarded people know that they're retarded.. It's beyond their control and there are only few people who completely embrace that part of themselves.
    When you call a not retarded person a retard, it'd be unreasonable and only makes you look stupid yourself.
    If you said it to someone who actually is retarded however, it might be true but no one likes to have things pointed out that they're self conscious about.. Making them feel bad about something, they know, they'll never be able to change is simply not cool.

• Simply said.. Yes, it's the medically correct term.. There are retarded people who accept themselves and don't consider it offensive at all.. But there are also those, who are self conscious about it.. It might be part of the journey a retarded person has to take but rubbing it in their faces won't do any good either. It'd make them feel unreasonably bad.
      It also depends on how you use it though.. It'd be alright in a normal conversation, I'd say.

• Smart answer thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• Retardation - being a retard is on the spectrum of IQ, or the lack of...
    So it's factually correct, but it's considered rude... because it's seen as pointing it out or judging them for something they can't help/control.

If you just call a stupid people a retard (but is of mostly average intelligence) then that's a social commentary on the fact they do stupid things but they CAN help themselves do better in life... they just don't want to think... hence make stupid decisions.
    So it's more socially acceptable, although still rude probably (unless it's called for).

• But I think to call a normal person retarded is to use an actual retarded person affliction in a derogatory way.

• Yup, and retarded people don’t mind being admired for what they overcome.

• Definitely true. And they should be praised for things they achieve.