Do you think cancelling plans or being socially distant is acceptable for the sake of your mental health?

I am diagnosed with moderate depression and adhd. There are times when I just can't find it in me to get out of the house and flow into my usual routine. My mom sometimes finds this irritating and says that I keep using my mental disorders as an excuse to get what I want.

36

Most Helpful Guy

• I have depression and ODD
    I've stayed in the house for years now since I was 15 I stopped going out changed my number and also changed my name do get as far away from my friends ex's etc I can tell you from experience that it is very very bad for your mental health I can't even leave my home anymore it's that bad so please don't make the same mistake as me

Most Helpful Girl

• I don’t find it excusable since I do know I should be getting out and doing what I want without mental illness holding me back. But I do find it understandable. There are days when I just can’t handle the anxiety of everything and have to hide in my room.

Maybe try thinking of a special treat or reward you can get for yourself if you go out and see if that motivates you? Or maybe try breaking your routine down into small steps and celebrate your accomplishments along the way :)