Do you think cancelling plans or being socially distant is acceptable for the sake of your mental health?

I am diagnosed with moderate depression and adhd. There are times when I just can't find it in me to get out of the house and flow into my usual routine. My mom sometimes finds this irritating and says that I keep using my mental disorders as an excuse to get what I want.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have depression and ODD
    I've stayed in the house for years now since I was 15 I stopped going out changed my number and also changed my name do get as far away from my friends ex's etc I can tell you from experience that it is very very bad for your mental health I can't even leave my home anymore it's that bad so please don't make the same mistake as me

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don’t find it excusable since I do know I should be getting out and doing what I want without mental illness holding me back. But I do find it understandable. There are days when I just can’t handle the anxiety of everything and have to hide in my room.

Maybe try thinking of a special treat or reward you can get for yourself if you go out and see if that motivates you? Or maybe try breaking your routine down into small steps and celebrate your accomplishments along the way :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• It is acceptable in any situation. But that does not. ean others will always validate or support it. Like, if cancel plans on a friend 5 times in a row, and understandable reaction from them might be to stop making plans. They have to protect their own well being as well.
    So acceptable? Yes. But then I are ant defensive responses to it

1|0
    0|0
  • I understand that you have issues but knowing that you have to go extra hard to get into your normal routine cause if you don't there a chance you can fall into a rut and have a really hard time getting out of it. That being said you know your body better than anyone else so if you need a min TAKE IT! I can't stress that enough just be conscious of what you're doing so you can get back to your normal routine as soon as possible

1|0
    0|0
  • I know from experience dealing with stupid people can be exhausting, moreover if you've got some kind of mental instability. Take it easy.

1|0
    0|0
  • it's not an excuse we all have bad and good days but abstain from overthinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you getting help for your depression?

1|0
    0|0
    • yes, i finally started seeing a psychiatrist a few weeks ago

• Good, because I think that it's not an "excuse" or anything, you just can't help how you feel. But I'm glad you are getting help, hopefully things improve soon

What Girls Said 2

Recommended myTakes