How can I motivate myself to workout even though I hate it?

I hate sports but I want to shape my body. When I start to workout regularly, I give up. How can I motivate myself?

1839

Most Helpful Guys

• I'd honestly recommend different styles of working out that are fun and less rep counting, meter counting, counting counting blaaaagh because let's face it- it is about as boring as reading an autobiography written by a cabbage. Have a look at dance/pole fitness etc, a martial art, maybe something interactive like a sports team or something outdoors with nature, what kind of things do you like to do? I mean I'm just guessing these ideas could help based on why I hate going to the gym or jogging etc. 😊

• what works for me is setting short term and long term goals. every time i accomplished a short term goal, i am super happy about it and it pushes me to go on to achieve the next goal. like being able to deadlift 2.5x the amount of my own bodyweight is my long term goal. my short term goals are being able to deadlift my own bodyweight, 225lbs, 315lbs, 405lbs.

in my opinion, most people at commercial gyms are more likely to fail and quit gym because they're not mentally prepared, their one and only goal is chest, abs and biceps and they have no idea what to even do to get it because they don't even do research. when you don't have the interest in learning about the sport, the mentality to make sacrifices and fortify your mind to do things that's going to be hard, and understanding that fitness is not just about 1 or 2 part of your body, it's about your entire body so you can't just be acting like a baby like most people and crying about doing leg day or upper body day, you gotta stfu and just do it.

a half ass resolve, no actual fitness goals, just doing it because someone told you to, trying to look like or be someone you're not on instagram, then you're just going to be getting half assed results. you either don't start at all or if you're going start it, then you do it like you mean it as a true athlete and spend time on doing research on how to do things the right way.

Most Helpful Girls

• I used to have this same problem until I started playing sports in middle school. before that my dad always forced me to play soccer and I just thought I hated all sports but then I started playing volleyball, basketball, amd softball and I love sports. you just have to search for things you enjoy. after I started playing those sports I got encouraged to start hoing to the gym and now Im really strong and in shape. I dont know how old you are so sports may not be an option anymore. but another thing you can do is just remember why you want to work out in the first place, and make yourself go to the gym. Try to push yourself, but even on days where you dont really want to workout, go and just do something light. But dont just ditch it completely (unless its a rest day of course, dont push yourself TOO hard) soon after making yourself go everyday, im sure you will start to like it. i had to drag my friend there everyday and she loves it now lol (sorry if i kinda rambled)

• It's important to do workouts that you enjoy, it makes them more bearable especially on the beginning. Once you get used to them add new and different things to make it more challenging and exciting, hopefully then you'll start looking forward to working out rather than dreading it. :)