How can I motivate myself to workout even though I hate it?

I hate sports but I want to shape my body. When I start to workout regularly, I give up. How can I motivate myself?

3|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I'd honestly recommend different styles of working out that are fun and less rep counting, meter counting, counting counting blaaaagh because let's face it- it is about as boring as reading an autobiography written by a cabbage. Have a look at dance/pole fitness etc, a martial art, maybe something interactive like a sports team or something outdoors with nature, what kind of things do you like to do? I mean I'm just guessing these ideas could help based on why I hate going to the gym or jogging etc. 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • what works for me is setting short term and long term goals. every time i accomplished a short term goal, i am super happy about it and it pushes me to go on to achieve the next goal. like being able to deadlift 2.5x the amount of my own bodyweight is my long term goal. my short term goals are being able to deadlift my own bodyweight, 225lbs, 315lbs, 405lbs.

in my opinion, most people at commercial gyms are more likely to fail and quit gym because they're not mentally prepared, their one and only goal is chest, abs and biceps and they have no idea what to even do to get it because they don't even do research. when you don't have the interest in learning about the sport, the mentality to make sacrifices and fortify your mind to do things that's going to be hard, and understanding that fitness is not just about 1 or 2 part of your body, it's about your entire body so you can't just be acting like a baby like most people and crying about doing leg day or upper body day, you gotta stfu and just do it.

a half ass resolve, no actual fitness goals, just doing it because someone told you to, trying to look like or be someone you're not on instagram, then you're just going to be getting half assed results. you either don't start at all or if you're going start it, then you do it like you mean it as a true athlete and spend time on doing research on how to do things the right way.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I used to have this same problem until I started playing sports in middle school. before that my dad always forced me to play soccer and I just thought I hated all sports but then I started playing volleyball, basketball, amd softball and I love sports. you just have to search for things you enjoy. after I started playing those sports I got encouraged to start hoing to the gym and now Im really strong and in shape. I dont know how old you are so sports may not be an option anymore. but another thing you can do is just remember why you want to work out in the first place, and make yourself go to the gym. Try to push yourself, but even on days where you dont really want to workout, go and just do something light. But dont just ditch it completely (unless its a rest day of course, dont push yourself TOO hard) soon after making yourself go everyday, im sure you will start to like it. i had to drag my friend there everyday and she loves it now lol (sorry if i kinda rambled)

0|0
    0|0
  • It's important to do workouts that you enjoy, it makes them more bearable especially on the beginning. Once you get used to them add new and different things to make it more challenging and exciting, hopefully then you'll start looking forward to working out rather than dreading it. :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 37

• Start small. Don't just say "This is the body I want to have at the end". Start shaping one part after another. It will make the work seem easier. Create a plan and use a calendar to write down when to exercise. If you miss a session because of an emergency or sickness, don't say "I failed". Timing can't always be perfect and go as planned.

0|0
    0|0
  • Thats a tough question... i recommend knowing what you wanna shape, and starting at home. or, find someone with a like mind to motivate you. Thats what im gonna do after im done with boot camp. find another person that wants to slim up, and try to help em, and in return, helping me. I have the experience and know just what to do to trim, or expand wherever, but no motivation.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Think on the benefits.
    2. Think of it like it is something like eating taking a shower or what ever that you do without thinking and feeling.
    3. Just do it.
    4. Find a way and form to do it you get something out of it.
    5. Maybe do it with someone or a group if you don't prefer to do it on your own.
    6. Make it a daylily routine like eating or going to the toilet.
    7. Stop listening to the lazy bone, fade up your willpower to max.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is there any type of exercise you enjoy? Swimming? Dancing?

Or just any activity that involves moving really. Just throw a heart rate monitor on, keep yourself in your target zone and bam! you're doing cardio.

0|0
    0|0
  • Listen to some music that motivates you and think of that ideal body and health you are trying to achieve. You could also watch Robert Frank videos but that is probably more motivational for men, I don't know if women are also encouraged to workout by those videos.

0|0
    0|0
  • Think of it this way. You clearly want far more to be fat and out of shape as it currently stands. if you really wanted to be in shape your would already be there. Sounds like you would rather want to want it then actually wanting it. you want that burger or the extra Netflix episode far more then a better body.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you only lack motivation because you lack energy. Take something that will get your adrenaline pumping and also protein. I used to be really fat and i hate working out and i don't care about my body until i lose weight because of my diet and i thought i look better and it motivated me to work out. Imagine yourself as a sexy beast in the future.

0|0
    0|0
  • Start small is about the best advice I can give. Try walking around your neighborhood and exploring a bit with free time. It seems less like exercise if you don't necessarily make it about that, also if you are watching TV at home, then small exercises during commercials helps out too. My advice probably won't get you to where you want to be, but it is likely to get you started and to see exercise in a different light.

0|0
    0|0
  • look at the mirror and say "i am a fat piece of lard. i need to lose a few pounds"

0|0
    3|2
    • Don’t be a dick about it

• Show All
    • where did i go wrong? was it the word "fat"?

• 3d

I'm not fat idiot. I'm just not in a good shape.

• Until you find a way to enjoy it, you won't see results. Training is not a means to an end, it's an end in itself, it will purify your body and mind. It will bring strength, stability, flexibility, and courage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm motivated by the results of the work out, it is hard to start but when you get done and finish strong you feel good, so the hardest part is the first step and then it gets easier that's for me anyway

0|0
    0|0
  • You can not, you must do it. When you will not like it in month you should change the exercise to running, bike or whatever. Just find what you like and stick with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't do something you don't like. That's meaningless. Better find a sport you like, so you'll be motivated to work out without actually doing it

2|0
    0|0
  • The hardest part of a workout is started so force yourself too the gym and once you've started you should be fine. It force yourself too go outside and start jogging

0|0
    0|0
  • keep it up for at least 6 months, and then list all the positive effects it made on you and your life ☺️

0|0
    0|0
  • Trial and error. Try lots of things. If you hate the thing you are trying than try something else. Go for a daily, fast paced walk with a friend of boyfriend in a pretty park or neighborhood, play tennis, swim laps a local pool, try some various exercise classes (bike, aerobic, pole, dance... etc.), try boxing, MMA with a heavy bag, try bicycling... etc.

There are a million different things you can do. There is no way you can hate all of them. Try some things out, try and get a friend or lover to do them with you for companionship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just see yourself in the next 15 years. You'll start working out eventually.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is 24 hours a day at least it's not bad useing at least some time of an hour to workout and focus on you're body and health and yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Push yourself be mentally tough exercise as much as you can and you will be getting in better shape down the road and you'll start enjoying it

0|0
    0|0
  • Reward yourself. Like if you run x amount of miles a month you will allow yourself to purchase new shoes or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 16

• You either decide you want to "Shape your body" more than you dislike it, or you simply settle. That's it.
    Maybe try different exercises and see if there's one that makes you feel better. I've always preferred horse riding and zumba.

0|0
    0|0
  • Find a friend to work out with! Maybe start with a morning walk every day and then work up from there once you get in that habit?

0|0
    0|0
  • Start with yoga. Yoga did a lot for me. Yoga gets rid of that physical strain you feel. Like for example I recently lost weight in my belly and I haven't properly pooped in almost a week. Now hopefully today I can buy myself a laxative

0|0
    0|0
  • Start during commercial breaks. Get up, walk in place, do some arm curls or lunges. Or go for a walk. Start with a 5 min walk then a 10 min walk. Increase by 5 min each time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Listening to music, getting fresh air, staying hydrated, going with a buddy, doing exercises that entertain (Zumba, Pilates)

0|0
    0|0
  • Mind over Matter. Like anything Here, dear.
    Look in the Mirror. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I work out and ride my exercise bike while I watch the tv shows I like. It keeps my mind off the fact that its work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Try listening music while doing it, and try working out with friends

0|0
    0|0
  • Workout with a friend! It will be more fun and you will enjoy it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just get naked and look in the mirror

0|0
    0|0
  • I would go with a friend that will help you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just do it. (Not a pun).

0|0
    0|0
  • Try work out with friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Put donuts down for every mile you run

0|0
    0|0
  • Workout is good
    Why do you hate it
    LOL

0|0
    0|0
  • Think of working out like brushing your teeth. You wouldn’t go a day without brushing your teeth. So don’t go a day without working out.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes