Is it normal that my athletic girlfriend (gym freak) runs 20k (11 miles), cycles for 20 mins, and then has coffee only for the day?

My girlfriend is a gym rat.. she’s a former long distance runner and she still runs everyday for at least an hr FOLLOWED by an intense strength training (squats and shit). Today she finishes her 20k (11/12 mile run) and cycles for 20 mins and then has coffee only for the rest of the day including the significant amount of water she drinks. Is this okay? Or is it weird? Oh and clearly needless to mention she’s skinny. I told her hey is that all you eat? Lol.. so she goes like “oh that’s only on saturdays I try to fast”

36

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe that is all she eats cause if that was all she ate - she would be dead or visibly starving herself. I think she eats more than that but doesn't tell anybody - not saying she eats a lot more - but if somebody is burning calories and not eating calories - they can only get skinnier and skinnier - its not possible to stay the same size when you are doing that - no matter how small your original size is.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a strong correlation between her thin body and rigorous workout, and between her under-nutrition and thin body. The body is capable of adapting to any condition including extreme workout or under-nutrition. If the details you mentioned in your post are factually true, she is visually unhealthy by conventional medical assessment.

It would have been helpful to provide details of the foods or meals and their quantity she eats daily. If she has been eating on a caloric surplus for three or more days per week, it is perfectly reasonable to still feel highly energised after a gruelling running.

• Well her breakfast in the weekdays is a bowl of oats with peanut butter and a banana at 8am. She goes to her 9-5 job and eats NOTHING there. She goes to the gym and finally has her dinner/late lunch AFTER the gym which is usually salad with protein. NO carbs. On Friday’s though, she has the same breakfast and heads to the gym as usually but doesn’t eat after it cause Saturday is her “cheat day”.

• Like she doesn’t eat on Friday night because Saturday is her cheat day and rest day. Sunday’s she fasts and eats nothing after her 20k run as I mentioned in the question. I’m sorry but does this sound normal to you? She literally eats nothing at work, even her coworkers keep commenting on how she doesn’t eat a thing.

• It seems her nutrition is influenced by at least one of these fanatical nutrition programmes: low carb diet, intermittent fasting, or clean-eating. Without you saying it, I could tell she religiously follows a diet by the books.

My last girlfriend was religiously on a low carb diet, and consuming under 900 calories per day, and doing 10,000+ steps-counting daily and workout at the gym 4 days per week. She is 35 years, 5'6" tall and 62kg in weight, though not thin but very under-weight. She constantly complained about feeling tired and I would tell her you have to raise your daily caloric intake to at least 1200 but she never changed.

Us men assessed female nutrition (for lack of a better word) through the male perspective. Like you, I was concerned about my ex low caloric consumption. She had this goal of being "thin" in arms, legs, belly, butt, etc. It seems females can cope with low caloric intake as they have very low muscle mass unlike men.