My doctor has considered me to be mentally unsound, does that mean I'm granted to do whatever the fuck I want & not have any recourse for my actions?

25

What Guys Said 5

• Being diagnosed with a mental illness does not mean that you cannot be convicted of a crime. Most jurisdictions follow the M'Naghten Rule, which says that a person is not guilty of a crime if:

"at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was labouring under such a defect of reason, from a disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing; or, if he did know it, that he did not know he was doing what was wrong. (Queen v. M'Naghten, 8 Eng. Rep. 718 [1843])"

Most people who are mental ill are not found not guilty by reason of insanity. Those that are found not guilty by reason of insanity and committed to long term psychiatric facilities for treatment of their illness.

• 6d

Good answer. I think it was a joke question though.

• 6d

@agsonic3b You are probably right, but when someone says their physician has declared them to be mentally ill, it is sometimes difficult to know when they are joking.

• No. Facilities for the Criminally Insane are still a thing.

• No, and if you use poor mental health as an excuse to do bad shit you are whats wrong with humans.

• YES, now get to it.

• That’s no surprise and you already seem to do that here anywa

What Girls Said 2

• Yes. Do it. Do all the things.

• part one, probably not. part two, definitely not.