Did you ever wondered if and how people in the ancient past with disabilities survived?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• No, I haven't, but I really don't try to think of the truth. I know that even when I was riding my dinosaur to school they didn't breath this to us. But most cultures did not have any disabled people. This was due solely to the fact they were stoned.
    Roman laws on disability
    Main article: Roman Law
    The Twelve Tables included a law that said disabled or deformed children should be put to death, usually by stoning. They also stipulated that if a free person or a slave is injured and subsequently disabled by an individual, the injurer has to pay a certain amount of money or is punished by being disfigured in a similar fashion.[citation needed]

In addition, Dionysius of Halicarnassus wrote that the city's founder Romulus required children who were born disabled to be exposed on a hillside. Historians think that this was a fairly common practice due to a believed high number of congenital defects due to the prevalence of poor nutrition, incest, and disease.[4] As time passed however, enforcement of this law became less and less common until eventually in the third century it was reversed by a new law requiring parents to take care of infants who were disabled.[5]

In Commentarii de Bello Gallico, Julius Caesar mentions that the Gauls commonly maimed his centurions, usually by blinding them, mentioning that four centurions out of a cohort were blinded. Soldiers disabled in such circumstances were given a stipend by the state once they retired.[6]

Many late period Emperors, such as Nero or Caligula, are known to have used disfigurement or disablement as punishments for legal infractions, as well as personal attacks
    https://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels/one/3.html

0|1
    0|0
    • That's really interesting, but not the case all over the world or in all cultures. Many ancient cultures across the Middle East, India, and Asia have always held handicapped people in greater reverence. Many cultures, specifically Semitic ones had the idea that disabled people were put here as a moral test by God, to see how they are treated. People believed that if you didn't take care of the disabled, then God wouldn't take care of you. Really, this is a persistent cultural concept across the Middle East.

History is full of lots of brutality, but that's only half the story. The other half is compassion and kindness and people helping one another. In fact, that is far more common in real life, it's just that violence and depravity stick out more, so they get noticed more, but in reality, they are the exception, not the rule.

• They found other ways to be useful so that a larger group would take care of them.

Sometimes a disabled person became like priests or shaman or holy men of one variety or another, people with seizure disorders were often believed to have a connection to the supernatural. Other times they would tend to the sick and wounded. Sometimes two people with different disabilities would form a partnership and assist one another.

Bottom line, they found some way to be useful, or else SOMEBODY found a use for them.

It's actually quite rare that they were simply killed off. Spartans for instance.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I have wondered this, even more currently. My great uncle was intellectually disabled (back then they called it mentally retarded) and lived to be in his mid 70's. I rarely saw another intellectually disabled person that was in that same age range, and I could never figure out why.
    But yes, I have wondered that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I admire them for it because it would have been much more difficult.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Compassion is a universal human quality so they were either bullied and picked on or people fed them and took care of them out of pity - I would imagine the mentally ill were abused in insane asylums or controlled by police officers while the physically handicapped were cared for by family and possibly those who felt sorry for them.

1|0
    0|0
  • By and large, they perished, and fell at the first hurdle. Of course, going back to Pagan times, it did not take mankind long to realise that the more children they had, and the bigger the family, the greater the chance of being looked after if disabled or when elderly. That is why fertility, not only of the land and animals, but themselves too, became so important to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • The channel says its evidence based but provides no evidence, not a single link to a scientific paper or anything. No I haven't wondered how handicapped people surivived in pre-history. All my knowledge of how primitive peoples today treat handicapped people is by killing them as soon as they are born. So much for this so called compassion he talks of in the video.

0|1
    0|0
  • I admire our ancestors, except foe technology they would still survive in today's world, but we wouldn't in their world I had a pea pod and a woman in her 20 ties didn't know what it was

0|0
    0|0
  • Depending upon the time frame and society, they were alternately put to work as best they could, had to resort to begging, or in the more brutal societies were murdered or left in the wilderness and only allowed to become a member of that society if they could survive and make their way back.

0|0
    0|0
  • They were murdered from early age or even at birth.
    This tradition needs to come back

0|0
    2|2
    • 1. Only a few societies did that (along with a whole host of messed up other stuff).
      2. You're a piece of @#$%

• I imagine many died young, many became beggars, and as civilisation become more the norm, more were taken care of by family, or by other means.

0|0
    0|0
  • If born very poor, they became beggars
    The richer ones could afford solutions to have a bearable life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wonder about how people with schizophrenia in particular were treated and how they pulled through

0|0
    0|0
  • law of the land is survival of the fittest

0|1
    0|0
  • They didn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • I just assume they didn't survive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Interesting video