Can people’s behaviour change towards you due to mental health?

If a person came out of hospital due to mental health issues and before they went in they were fine with u, but all of a sudden their behaviour changed towards u since they came back after 4 weeks being in hospital and they don’t wanna be around u Anymore and push u away and say they’re different now, would u say this is their mental health affecting them? This person was fine before until he came back.
6d
Also before he went he was saying stuff like “I need someone like u.” And “I need you blah blah I don’t understand what happened
6d
His mates even said he is different now and miserable atm. So I don't know if he means to act like this towards me

2468