Do you really need paracetamol / aspirin to regulate your body temperature during fever?

It is said that a fever is good for you because it helps to fight infection. Fever serves as one of the body's natural infection-fighting defenses against bacteria and viruses that cannot live at a higher temperatures. Elevated body temperature also helps certain types of immune cells to work better.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-11/foas-ctf110111.php

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111101130200.htm

So would you still eat your medication?
  • No
  • Yes

38

Most Helpful Guy

• There are at least four good reasons to hold off on the antipyretics on low top moderate fevers:
    1. The medicine can mask the symptoms. If a medicine artificially drops a fever, how do you know when the patient is ACTUALLY getting well?
    2. Fever reducers can contribute to the spread of disease. People get dosed on fever-reducers, feel a little better, then go out in public when they are still contagious.
    3. Medication can have side effects. Rather self-explanatory.
    4. Of course, you are right: the fever is actually helping the body heal. Fevers "force" a person to rest when needed the most. A fever helps trigger the body's natural immune resposne, and can even prevent viruses from replicating. One study shows that flu sufferers who took fever reducers to hold down their temperature, were actually sick- on average- for three days longer than those who took NO medications!

If the fever is extreme and/or persistent, you should have it checked out by a doctor, and take fever reducers as recommended.