Do you really need paracetamol / aspirin to regulate your body temperature during fever?

It is said that a fever is good for you because it helps to fight infection. Fever serves as one of the body's natural infection-fighting defenses against bacteria and viruses that cannot live at a higher temperatures. Elevated body temperature also helps certain types of immune cells to work better.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-11/foas-ctf110111.php

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111101130200.htm

So would you still eat your medication?
  • No
    Vote A
  • Yes
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There are at least four good reasons to hold off on the antipyretics on low top moderate fevers:
    1. The medicine can mask the symptoms. If a medicine artificially drops a fever, how do you know when the patient is ACTUALLY getting well?
    2. Fever reducers can contribute to the spread of disease. People get dosed on fever-reducers, feel a little better, then go out in public when they are still contagious.
    3. Medication can have side effects. Rather self-explanatory.
    4. Of course, you are right: the fever is actually helping the body heal. Fevers "force" a person to rest when needed the most. A fever helps trigger the body's natural immune resposne, and can even prevent viruses from replicating. One study shows that flu sufferers who took fever reducers to hold down their temperature, were actually sick- on average- for three days longer than those who took NO medications!

If the fever is extreme and/or persistent, you should have it checked out by a doctor, and take fever reducers as recommended.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Increased body temp also correlates to breakdown of protein in the body, dehydration and increases likelihood of nausea and inability to sleep.

So it really comes down to whether you are comfortable enough to get rest, eat and drink. If not then the fever is causing more harm than good.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do I refuse to take 2 aspirin or do I just increase my heart rate with light yoga and a shower AND take my aspirin with my tea and an apple?

I'm going with aspirin since this hamstring won't stop being a failure but I normally don't think about it regarding cold medicine. It's in or it's not. It's not a thing I care about and it all seems quite silly unless you have liver problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if the temp gets too high would I take it. Otherwise, I'd let the body do it's work.

1|0
    1|0
  • Although it helps fight disease and is part of the body's immune system, a fever over a certain point causes brain damage. So if you hit 102f you wanna take it ro not be a vegetable.

1|0
    0|0
  • I just Grab a Prescription Inflammatory Naproxen.. FOR NO MATTER WHAT-NOT. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I will choose science over pseudo-science.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do.

1|0
    1|0
  • I've never used any drugs to fight a fever

0|0
    0|0
  • If really needed