Is running the best way to lose weight and burn body fat or is it weight lifting?

Is running the best way to lose weight and burn body fat or is it weight lifting?

I know that the diet matters too lol I know what to eat I could eat leaves all day as long as I get a little bit of meat. But what I'm confused about is if running burns more body fat than weight lifting because all I can do is run since I can't go to the gym. I'm not overweight I just have a little double chin that I want to get rid of and I'm not as skinny as I want to be.
Updates:
I meant walking and running because I can't run the whole time

2|2

Most Helpful Girls

• Weights give more strength, but do little for weight loss and stamina.

When you run, you are, of course, burning calories. If you run for say an hour, stop for a minute of two every 15-20 minutes. Your body will learn to keep burning gals ready for the next run, and eventually it will burn cals for quite a time after you have finished just in case you start running again!

1|0
    0|1
    • I should add that living at home, when not at uni, I am a few metres from a sea front promenade that is 3 miles long, plus another 2 miles over a common, also by the sea. Wonderful to run the whole distance every morning!

• Do both. I recemmend 3 intense sessions of 30-60 minutes, one session of 30 minute intense jump roping, a session of 60 minute weight lifting and body weight exercises, and a 30 minute session ofcardio of choixe and stretching for flexibility

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• To lose weight, any kind of cardio is good - running, walking, elliptical or stairstep machines, jumping rope, bicycling - anything that keeps your heart rate up.

Lifting weights causes your muscles to grow, which will contribute to fat loss but you may not lose weight - you might even gain weight - as muscle tissue is denser (and thus heavier per volume) than fat.

2|0
    0|0
  • Combine but since you sound like skinny fat you're better off doing some lifting to change your body composition. Also skipping rope is better than running.

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't have rope

• Show All
    • So running walking and dieting alone won't be enough?

• Oh no, diet is the most important thing in losing fat. Lifting tones your body by putting on some muscle on you and it also burns fat. Cardio is good for your heart and burning fat, more effective if it's HIIT. (High intensity)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Walking is far better for burning body fat.

Fat burns slowly, so when you are at walking speed you're at your maximum fat burning level.

If you speed up from walking and start to run the extra energy comes from carbohydrates. If you burn carbohydrates then it's still not fat it's carbohydrates.

Compare walking for one hour with running for one hour. You will burn the exact same amount of fat in both, but with the running you burn massive amounts of carbohydrates, then you'll need to eat a hell of a lot of food.

So if you are after purely fat burning then the best things to do is walking.

But that's a big "if" not everything should be about burning off fat. The best things to do is to have a balanced life style so if you do some running as well it will benefit you in a different way which is not just a fat burn. Running gives you physical fitness that is very good for you.

However whilst a little bit of running is good a lot of running can be very bad. I have bad knees because in the distant past I was running 50 miles (80km) every single week.

When you choose what sports and fitness you do, you should make the decision based on different factors.

(1) What do you enjoy doing, team sports like football, beach volley ball, etc. Or are you able to continuously motivate yourself when you're alone in the rain and the cold and you still have another 10 miles to go.

(2) Do you just want a good figure, or do you want to be healthy?

(3) What type of fitness do you want, big muscles, or more endurance?

The most important thing in picking your sport is that you enjoy it.

Don't discount things that might not be considered sport. 5 hours of salsa dancing in one night will do you a hell of a lot of good in terms of gaining physical fitness and will probably be more fun than a 5 hour hike.

2|0
    0|0
  • My experience is diet is the most important. Followed by cardio, i've heard repeatedly that HIIT is superior to steady staye cardio. And maybe i don't give HIIT enough of a chance. But steady state cardio just seems to work for me.
    I weigjt train but it seems like i get minimal results from it.

1|0
    0|0
  • A combination of the two. Muscle mass burns off body fat. Hitting two birds with one stone by weightlifting.

-Former bodybuilder

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, running is one of the cheapest and easiest exercise to lose weight. You can go on diet too. I am already slim but to have some fit and beach body I am doing keto for last 1 month, it is effective lets see final result

1|0
    0|0
  • If you can’t go to the gym I suggest you, to run while doing some exercices to develop your flexibility. After a month you will be able to do some workouts. There are a loooot of youtubers that propose effective homeworkouts without équipements , like Pamela Reif ( go see her workouts) and Gabriella whited ( she even made a plan for weight loss) seriously give a try!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Running actually isn't good for you long term it will mess up your joints later in life increasing the chance for things like arthritis. But Cardio in general is healthy for you.

You should however be doing a combination of weight lifting/exercise and cardio. Along with a healthy intake of food.

1|0
    0|0
  • Running can work but your knees will hate you later in life.

1|1
    0|0
  • Weight lifting mainly builds muscles. Cardio exercises which makes your heart run faster (running, jump rope) mainly burns fat and build endurance.
    Try doing a sport! Its fun, burns fat and everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is actually all diet unless you run for 4 hours per day and even if you do you still would never lose as much weight as you would by simply regulating your calories.

1|0
    0|0
  • Between the two, walking/running is better.

The best thing to do is swimming if you have a place to do it.

2|0
    0|0
  • Weight lifting and sprinting. Walking doesn't do anything. Jogging is not an efficient use of your time. Sprinting for 15 min is equal to like an hour of non stop jogging.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes its great
    Do runs and reduce food on average. Not too much food. Just 1-2 things daily.

Thats really it

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a combination of both. Burning calories is easy with cardio but getting the flat belly and the curves is weights.

1|0
    0|0
  • Your good the way you are, but to lose a huge forehead, i heard that you must lift a 30 kg dumble on your forehead sweet confused girl for 20 times haha

1|0
    0|0
  • Swimming actually burns more than running, and it's better for your joints. But you need open water... :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Running and swimming are the best ways to lose weight it burns calories and makes you lose mass... weightlifting builds muscle adding mass and making you gain weight.

1|0
    0|0
  • Building muscle burns fat but cardio is important. I burn a lot of fat from walking

1|0
    0|0
  • I like to use the elliptical for cardio because its easier on my knees and i get tired more easily.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both.
    Definitely do weightlifting and intermediately do running for cardio on off-days as well.

1|1
    0|0
  • Any cardio activity. So running, swimming, boxing, martial arts, tennis, stuff like that

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Running exercise make your heart beats fast which increases oxygen supply to our body and helps in burning body fat.

1|0
    0|0
  • In my experience, doing squats caused me to lose weight quicker than anything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Running yeah lifting weights makes u gain muscle not lose fat

1|0
    0|0
  • Jump Roping is the best way to lose fat. It burn more calories per minute than running.

1|0
    0|0
  • Every person has an exercise that works great but nature hiking is best universal

1|0
    0|0
  • It is a good way but not the best. The best is exercising with machines or steps.

1|0
    0|0
  • You are right everyone should run like that every day about 1 hour

1|0
    0|0
  • No commenting on my post and praising my looks is the best way to gain or loose anything u want

0|0
    1|0
  • Sprinting, not running

2|0
    0|0
  • Combination

1|0
    0|0
    • But what if I can't do weightlifting? Because I have no access to the gym

• Do running around outside, And do push ups and sit ups and squats at home.

• I only walked.

1|0
    0|0
  • You don’t really have to run to lose y

2|0
    0|0
  • Go and swim for hours, it burns fat too.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a great way for weight loss.

1|0
    0|0
  • Doing both is better

1|0
    0|0
  • Running works better

1|0
    0|0
  • Walking and dieting are the way to do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Running is actually the best way

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Yes you can actually walk a little bit but mostly run and when you find yourself in good shape then you can run the full three to five miles without stopping

• Both are helpful.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. You better lift

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. ..

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea and it is the best way to stay in shape

1|0
    0|0
  • Walking program helps us that's what i need to do.

1|0
    0|0
  • SWimming is better for your body

1|0
    0|0
  • Running.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes, research HIIT

1|0
    0|0
  • Running a lifting little weights is.