What do you think Addiction is? A choice or a disease?

Also give reason why you think so
  • Its a choice.
  • It's a disease
  • Something else
    Vote C

2343

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a choice to start doing something, and that is not unreasonable to say. However, once you have done this thing and found pleasure, relief, or whatever it is you desire from it, you slowly lose the ability to choose it. This thing chooses you. It's almost as if to say... "Hey, remember me? I made you feel really good. Why don't you come over here and do it again?" There's this voice and you keep listening to it, because you want to feel better, and you're lead to believe you need this. You might find that nothing else quite makes you feel the way the addiction does, and that it's the only thing that makes you feel better in the end. That is when it stops becoming a choice.

The first time you try something, you may as well be injecting that into your bloodstream, because soon enough your body and mind will learn to depend on it. You can't say no. It's a disease, an infection, a sickness, and something you feel you can't live without. At least, that's how it was for me...

I was addicted to self-harm, then to pornography. There are days that I feel as if I still need these things to feel okay, but I choose not to relapse. Choose. It is a disease only if you keep feeding it... if you starve it, and allow it to leave your bloodstream, it becomes a choice again.

I said "something else" for the poll. Addiction is complicated. I don't know how else to explain it here.

• 15 d ago

You explained is pretty nicely :)
      I hope you are doing okay.

Most Helpful Guy

• Something else-- it's not a "disease," it's a "disorder." Diseases are caused by external invading pathogens, like viruses and bacteria, that our immune system is designed to destroy. Disorders are not diseases. People need to get their terms right and stop saying that. Note: I'm not blaming YOU, because you didn't start the trend of calling addiction a "disease," I'm just speaking in general here.

Second, the BEGINNING of an addiction is indeed self-inflicted and therefore a choice-- STAYING addicted (literally the whole point of what addiction IS) is not a choice, because at that point it's too late. So the correct answer is "a little bit of both."