Has anybody had any luck treating tmj?

I’ll admit the situation, I gave my boyfriend oral for a very long time last night and now my jaw is messed up.

When I try to chew it makes a loud popping sound on the left side and is incredibly painful.

I can’t eat. It even hurts when I’m not moving it.

Has this happened to anybody else? Has anybody had any luck treating tmj?

74

Most Helpful Girls

• I have and have had bad bouts of TMJ. One huge no-no is opening your mouth wider than natural. This puts pressure of that small cartlidge disc that sits between the jaw joint. I have had it so bad 9that it gave me migraines. If this is just this incident then I would apply hot compresses to that side. Like someone previously mentioned NSAIDs like Ibuprofen are best. Try to avoid opening your mouth in any manner that stretches it beyond the normal width. If you eat apples cut them up. No chewing sinewy tough meat. No big or high profile sandwiches or burgers. In 2014, I had a TMJ flare so bad that I had to seek treatment. TMJ treatment is usually not covered by insurance. I spent $5K for special custom Mora mouth splints that specially positioned my TMJ to allow it to heal. It worked well but it was extremely expensive.

• 2 d ago

Most helpful opinion without a doubt.

• You need to rest your jaw. Try not to eat food that needs to be chewed, like yogurt, soup, oatmeal, eggs, mashed potatoes, etc. Smoothies are good too

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to rest your jaw as much as possible. Using a hot or cold compress against the jaw joint 4 times a day can help the muscles to relax. Anxiety and stress will exacerbate the symptoms as you tend to tense up subconsciously.