Did someone or something happen in your life to bring down your self esteem down, and how did you did you recover? Got any advice to share?

Anonymous
Some people go through unscathed not having someone in their lives who bring their self esteem down or certain situations. I believe some people are born with a happy gene and it takes something pretty bad to take them down.

For some of us it is not setting up boundaries and walking away when we should, getting gaslighted, or in situations that are out of our control like having to live with an unhealthy family member or worst case scenario a situation like a kidnapping or war.

For myself I think I had low self esteem for most of my life. I'd say some of it came from my shy introverted personality then getting bullied in middle school and high school. Later in life allowing fear to control some of my decisions, not setting clear boundaries with people and not eliminating people in my life that don't bring something positive in my life.

Something about hitting midlife that made me abbreviate my life because I had no patience and was exhausted from the hormone drops and other things. It was a big reset. I eliminated unhealthy relationships, started setting boundaries and practicing more self care.

It took a lot to dig out of a hole of my own making but it was worth it. I'm not totally out of the hole but I've come a long way.

I hope that others don't wait to do this until they hit their 50's like me. No use wasting the time. For me going to kpop and kdrama meetups were part of the healing process which lead me to going to lots of concerts. Nothing like music, dancing and screaming that will make life so much better.
7
3