How do we stop the spread of seasonal and more dangerous viruses in the U. S. when low wage workers (or any workers) can't take days off without pay?

sejla
I was at the grocery store check out when the cashier started coughing and couldn't stop. I waited a bit to see if she was going to say it was allergies because it's the beginning of the allergy season with cedar and cotton wood tree pollen. Part of me wanted to take some hand sanitizer because I've had low immune issues in the past but I was thinking it would be too noticeable. I think she told the young lady who was a bagger that she felt her pneumonia coming back.

The first thought is someone who is sick should stay home but what if they've run out of paid sick days or they don't get sick days which does happen in some companies or at least in my state. A lot of people don't have an wiggle room financially not to show up and can't see the bigger picture that they could become deathly ill. They are just thinking I need to pay rent and have food.

What's the solution to keeping people at home who are sick while not causing them hardship in the process?

This isn't really just the low wage workers because a lot of workers all the way to the top go to work hacking up a lung and it isn't common practice to wear a mask in public when one has a cold when I honestly think it should be.
How do we stop the spread of seasonal and more dangerous viruses in the U. S. when low wage workers (or any workers) cant take days off without pay?
13
7