Do you think flu is comparable to COVID19?

People keep saying "flu killed more people in the US last year than coronavirus" but the comparison is so stupid because they're comparing the number of deaths over a YEAR (53 weeks) to the number of deaths SO FAR from a virus that's been in our country for 3 weeks & is continuing to rise exponentially.

With these rapidly rising rates, who knows what will be the number of cases & deaths in a year (when it'll ACTUALLY be able to be compared to a year's burden of flu)?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

People are determining the death rate of COVID19 by dividing the number of deaths by the number of cases, but that's not accurate because many of those cases haven't died yet, but will die. The accurate way to determine death rate is to compare the number of deaths with the number of people who have recovered.

When taking into account only these closed cases (in which people have either died or recovered), 9% have died worldwide.

Let's look at rates for flu in the year of 2018-2019. 35,520,883 illnesses and 34,157 deaths. That's 0.1%.

People say "the coronavirus rates are skewed because only the people with severe enough symptoms have been tested" but the same could be said for the death rates for flu (and literally every other illness).

Anyway, let's compare hospitalizations. In the year of 2018-2019, there were 490,561 flu hospitalizations, out of 35,520,883 cases, which is a rate of 1.4%. About 15% of people with coronavirus need to be hospitalized.

With all these numbers, it's pretty clear that COVID19 is much more dangerous than the flu. That's why all these precautions are being taken to stop its spread. If it's allowed to get as prevalent as the flu, then the death tolls will be massive.
I didn't read, & I still think flu is as bad as, or worse than, COVID19
I didn't read. I don't think flu is as bad as, or worse than, COVID19.
I used to think flu was as bad as, or worse than, COVID19, but you changed my mind
Vote C
I read, but I was already aware that COVID19 is worse than flu.
Vote D
I read. I still think that flu is as bad as, or worse than, COVID19.
Vote E
GirlGuy
31
7