How do you know what muscles are working when you are working out?

UncleJessieRabbit
I was literally non-athletic and seldom ever touched a weight or strength training in most of my life. I am starting from scratch with zero muscle memory. In the past I tried to do lifting, but what keeps stopping me before I get anywhere with it is my lack of confidence with where I should "feel" or what exact muscle I should be using during a particular exercise. An example for the chest press is when I couldn't tell much of the difference and left wondering if it is my chest I am "feeling" and contracting or more of my arms. I figured that if doing a chest press, I should be "feeling" my chest contracting but I "don't" for some reason.

I was born with a mild neurological syndrome where my balance and co-ordination are slightly more awkward, maybe that's relevant. But, can that mean I am doomed too when it comes to wanting to be fit and buff?
1
2