Can I build on a deficit?

Anonymous

Hey guys.

I'm a female who has recently been diagnosed with PCOS, and insulin resistance. Most women with my condition tend to become obese. I, however, have been fortunate enough to have a fast metabolism. I do tend to gain visceral fat due to my condition and insulin resistance, I gain weight in my abdomen, back, butt and hips but I donot gain any fat in my arms and legs.

my stats are as follows;

I'm 21, 5 foot 6 (168cm), 62kgs, 22 percent body fat, my BMR is 1409 but according to my Fitbit on training days my TDEE is 2200-2500

I'm trying to gain muscle and I've been told that I can only do so on a surplus. It's difficult for me to eat the right amount of calories due to my insulin resistance. I've seen two dieticians and with my goals in mind, they've both put me on a 1600-1700 cal diet. I just don't feel like that's enough calories for building muscle but they've both assured me that I will gain muscle.

I've always been a hard gainer and before COVID I had been lifting for about two years, 3 times a week.

I want to try the suggested diet but I'm worried that Ill lose size. Although my waist is small on a scale of 1-10 in regards to my visceral fat measurement, I'm a 6. And my dieticians want me to lose that weight. The protein in the diets is adequate.

Is it possible to gain muscle on those calories, or should I tweak them?

PCOS is basically a hormone imbalance, I have excess androgen hormones, too little estrogen, and I'm insulin resistant. Thank you
Can I build on a deficit?
2
0