Been in Contact with Someone who Potentially Has COVID 19 - Now Isolating?

Anonymous
I am an NHS worker. I work in an NHS clinic. At the weekend, I recently came in contact with a man that said his symptoms was a cold, but it’s most likely to be Coronavirus.

- He was in room with me less than 1 metre away.
- He lowered his mask to cough and splutter.
- He told me he had a sore throat and a cough
- I measured his temperature - it was extremely high at 38.4
- At the time I had ‘Level 1’ PPE on (mask, gloves and apron)
- Patient was told to immediately leave clinic after I advised my colleagues and to get tested.

Now I have chosen to stay at home and isolate this was also the advice the Govenment Coronavirus Helpline. I have also booked to have a test privately as there were no tests. I thought it was best to be safe than sorry as I do not want to potentially infect others as I have immune-compromised people in my family and also at work.

I had problems with work - they thought it was fine for me to come into work and said they were following guidelines because of the following reasons:

- The Patient wasn’t a confirmed case of COVID-19
- I had sufficient PPE on (my eyes weren’t covered so I don’t think the PPE was sufficient as the virus can get in through the eyes.

I didn’t feel comfortable and thought it was best to be safe than sorry.

They have now signed me off with “sickness with anxiety”. I think this is ridiculous.

I’m intrigued what people’s thoughts are on this. At the moment I am disappointed with the level of care they have given me as an NHS worker, and was expecting a more sensitive approach to my situation.
8
2