Have your parents ever shamed you so bad that you got PTSD?

Anonymous
Hey guys. I'm having some trouble with something that my mom does. Over the past year, I've been in and out of being sick. It started with a cold at the beginning of January. Then I got the flu in March with the worst cramps of my life. I got gallstones from April to late July/August. And I got mono from sharing food with my cousin around September. It's been a hard year for me and those are just the physical health issues.

I come from a family of foreigners and as some of you know, foreign parents tend to be the meanest. In the culture my parents are from, shame is used for EVERYTHING. They guilt trip and curse you out for months on end for the one thing you did forever ago. I gained a lot of weight when I got sick, much to my own personal shame, disapproval, disgust, distaste... It's been hard. Anyways, I didn't mean to get this big. I spent a lot of months bed or couch ridden. I had cramps for 4-8 hours a day. I was often light headed and dizzy. My stomach couldn't hold down most foods. It was sheer torture FOR MONTHS. I did exercise when I didn't feel as bad but it wasn't enough to staunch the weight gain.

Since my return home due to corona and my graduation from college, my family has been on me about my weight. In particular, my mother. There has not been a day where she hasn't mention my weight, my fat, exercises I should do or things I should drink, clothes that I should wear to hide it... She makes me feel so bad about myself to the point where I stopped eating and my anxiety shot up so high that I thought I would die in my sleep every night. She always comments on it as though it was my fault or as though I'm not trying to lose it. Honestly, all of her badgering discourages me more and makes me want to hide in my room.

She acts like I intentionally gained weight or like I like eating food when I don't. I barely have an appetite and only eat when I am in physical pain. It's been 4 months now since I've moved back and I'm not exaggerating when I say
22 d
that there hasn't been a day where she hasn't mentioned it as though I am not ACTIVELY trying to lose it. The worst part is when she talks about food that I am about to eat,
22 d
she calls them unhealthy (how is cheese on a keto diet unhealthy?) Or too much (when it's my first time eating because I was too scared of her judgement to eat breakfast or lunch) or too late (refer to being too scared to eat at the proper times) and I go into this state of distress. I shutdown. I walk away from my food and go hide regardless of hungerpains so bad I dry heave. Anyways, that's my shame story. Do you guys have any?
1
0