Why do my fingers hurt so much holding ice cubes, and why can some people handle it more than others?

AmandaYVR
This is a sort of unusual question, but I've been wondering it for months and think I'll finally ask. Some of you are very good at science questions.

I make ice cubes in the freezer. A lot of fridges either don't have an automatic ice cube maker. or the water supply line is not plugged in so you have to make them in trays manually.

I use silicone moulds because I prefer non-standard shapes. I have large sphere moulds, and squares. I always seem to be needing to empty them (I place them in a metal tray for storage) and it takes some finagling to get them out. Because I like these particular shapes, aesthetically, and also that they are larger (and larger ice melts slower, which dilutes your drinks more slowly), they cannot be plastic moulds. No plastic means no tap-tap on the counter to get the ice out. Thus, lots of handling them.

And my fingers hurt badly, instantly, when I touch the ice. Why? I can barely touch them. Sometimes I wait until they melt a bit and are easier to remove.

I never got stuck out in a snowdrift and got frostbite (no actual igloos in Canada, and California certainly has none.) My pain threshold in general... I don't know if it's the same as when I was young, or if it's a bit more sensitive now. Could be more sensitive, but I think it's a gradual change, if anything. I also don't remember burning my fingers (only hands, once, when I spilled hot coffee on them.) I don't play guitar. My hands are really soft.

And why can some people (crazy people who like challenges) dunk their limbs into freezing ice water, and manage to stay in there without it becoming unbearable instantly? Is that just about different pain thresholds? Or is some peoples' skin different, maybe thicker epidermis?

I just took out some more cubes and one pinky still hurts. So maybe that one in particular did sustain some slight temperature damage at one point, though I have zero memory of that.

Any thoughts/ideas?
15
3