1 mo

War on Christmas! Why do liberals accuse Christianity of stealing Yule?

Bat-Perv
1. Jesus was born in Jerusalem. It is currently 14°C and the lowest temperature will be 4°C tonight. Sheep don't need shelter and no Shepherds would abandon their sheep no matter how cold it was.
2. In the old Julian calendar the 25th of December falls on the winter solstice. When the new Georgian calender was introduced to correct for solar drift the winter solstice changed from the 25th of December to the 21st but Christmas stayed on the 25th.
3. Christmas was first celebrated in Rome 336 Ad. There was no Christianity in Germany nor real Roman presence so they didn't steal anything from german pagans.
4. The roman empire was a multi-ethnic multi-religious empire most of whom had religious festivals on the winter solstice (December 25th Julian calendar) as did most peoples globally so Christmas was made to fit into this as the entire globe had stopped working and trading, Christmas actually had a feast day celebrating a Saint before Christmas was first celebrated. Many religions in modern times in the US do this too.
5. Those traditions you speak of have as much to do with ethnicity and and nationality as they do religion.
6. "So what traditions did the early Christians take from the Pagans you may be asking. Well let me tell you. There are your yuletide carols, the yule log that you burn, yuletide greetings, wreaths, decking the halls with boughs of holly, the yule tree, St. Nicholas, Odin's 8 legged flying horse (your 8 reindeer), the sun god mithra born of a virgin and had 12 disciples, feasts, and so much more."
7. Early Christians did none of these things, a lot of early Christian traditions are actually forgotten. A lot of what you are talking about is what holiday traditions Germany exported globally in the 19th century. Legends about virgin births, flying horses and 12 disciplines appears in many religions. I wonder did the German pagans steal these?

I hope you guy learned some stuff about what this time of year is really about. Merry Christmas
Add Opinion