Women’s Day

#PressforProgress

Why is it stealing when white women use the term intersectionality?

In Ijeoma Oluo's new book "So You Want to Talk About Race" there's a whole section on intersectionality. Whether it's useful to learn from books if you want to be down for the struggle is another matter. My question especially revolves around the problematic-ness of white women. How can white feminists, especially, become more inclusive unless they start including teachings of intersectionality? I do not see any white feminists claiming that they invented the term, so why is this suddenly
taboo? I'm grateful for the term and the woman, Kimberle Crenshaw, who created it, and all the ladies who are teaching and serving with such selflessness. I do not abuse it or use it in a way that makes me look like I own it. I do use it however, to educate other white people, especially women, who do not feel the need to include issues that pertain to women of color. So what is the best way to handle this issue?

321

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess it depends on how you use it.. But the author basically explained it.. I don't think G@G is a good place to ask, unless you wanted people to validate yo opinion on the matter..

Most Helpful Girl

• I think because a lot of White Feminists™ use the term to pay lip service to intersectionality without doing a damn thing to actually change structures at play. Note that there is a difference between a White Feminist™ and a white feminist.

• Cool. How do you identify the two?

• I don’t know enough about her to say, really.

What Guys Said 20

• Just continue to acknowledge that even though you're a woman (and therefore marginalized and oppressed) you recognize that you're not as marginalized and oppressed as "womyn of color." So you must defer to womyn of color in all things to atone for your privilege.

• Because black women know that they're at the (intersection) of sexism , and racism and all the variables of intersectionality. Whereas , with white women , they spew some bias towards black women still in every department of intersectionality , even tho they both have a simple commonality between each other , intersectionality also points at hire women as well. So that said... yes , it's theft to encapulate to dismiss black women's intersectional claims that really only render to another bias towards black women.

• Spell check added ,( at hire women as well ) I didn't write that part. **At white women as well **

• And also what you just referenced is , "(political intersectionality.)*

• Asker , if you believe in the theory of intersectionality , political inteintersectionality... and feminism so religiously , then how does help equality ?

• Why does the left have to introduce ever more divides into society? What happened to working together?

• Just another example of how progressives eat each other.

• Its all a bunch of ethnomasochism.

• "ETHNOMASOCHISM
      The masochistic tendency to blame and devalue one’s ethnicity,
      one’s own people.
      Ethnomasochism comes from shame and self-hatred. It’s a
      collective psychopathology, provoked by a concerted propaganda
      campaign to make Europeans feel guilty about how they’ve treated
      other peoples and to make them see themselves as ‘oppressors’.
      They are made, in this way, to repent and pay their alleged debt. A
      veritable historical imposture, their repentance, no less, is urged by
      the churches and the state."
      Ethnomasochism is also at the base of anti-natalist policies that
      surreptitiously limit the reproduction of the European population.
      It’s a form of self-racism, in effect. Tainted with the original sin
      of his intrinsic racism, European man is guilty of being who he is.

• Yeah this seems to exist in the media at least.

• Cherry, I don't know what that means. I am looking at the article right now. It is a lot of reading. Do you mind summarizing?

• Ah! Okay I looked up the term. Now I get it. I think. I don't know what to say Cherry. This will never be an easy issue to talk about. I remember when Chris Rock first commented on the issue of women seeking equal pay in Hollywood. This was after we learned Jennifer Lawrence was being paid so little for a movie she made. He said, ""White" women in Hollywood think they are being stiffed on pay. They need to talk to a "Black" woman."

It made me think about women's issues a little differently. I don't think all women of color feel this way. But obviously some do. I can only say this, you can never please everyone. You can only look at these issues honestly and speaking your truth.

I don't know what to say about the feminist movement. I am not a feminist. I don't have the answers. But you are a very intelligent woman. I am sure you will build bridges of trust and common experience where and when you can.

• Intersectionality and all words associated with that branch of Philosophy is a load of horsefeathers. You can do better than this.

• As long as people get categorized by skincolor, racism will never disappear. Just let it go.
    People are just people, regardless of insignificant things like the color of their skin.

• Easy for someone to say who's not affected by skin color...

• I just dont see a point to differentiate.

I dont treat people differently because of their haircolor or eyecolor, so why is skincolor a thing?

• Well, I had to actually look that up, because I have never heard that before. I went to Dictionary. com and this is there definition:

"the theory that the overlap of various social identities, as race, gender, sexuality, and class, contributes to the specific type of systemic oppression and discrimination experienced by an individual"

It says nothing about 'White women' can't use this word, even though they might fit the definition! Someone telling you, as a 'White Woman' is just doing the very thing that it describes: discriminating!!!

• Bcs everything about this group of people is stupid... al it does is break people up into separate groups based on increasingly idiotic and unchangable physical characteristics

• The fact that people are fighting or even upset about terms and labels says a lot.

• Meh, sounds nuanced, I'm not willing to put in the work to figure it out, sorry for the useless answer I just need to clear up my feed.

• Wow this is crazy, everyone should be able to speak there mind

• I have never heard of any of this, do can it even be a pressing issue?

• Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean it's not a pressing issue.

• Feminism cannot be intersectional.

• Can we get anymore triggered and sensitive?

• It isn't. Whiny idiots say it is.

• Huh?

• It isn't...

• I will tell you that privately

• A history lesson: Prior to the 90s Feminism (known as 2nd wave) was majorly dedicated to the rights of WHITE women. After about 1993 (known as 3rd wave) other women were starting to be represented rather than ignored. The term intersectionality is a reference to the entanglement of race, culture, status, economics etc. and how it all manages to effect the power of a person in a society. This means that for white women the term has no value because it turns out that they are white. Just by being white alone the radical value of their persons increases exponentially in society. It gets complicated from here but basically the idea of a white intersectional feminist is equivalent to the idea of a black kukluxklan member.

• Thank you, I know what intersectionality is. It is still important to everyone, not only black women, because other people beside black women have intersecting identities. You can be white and trans and disabled. That's intersection right there.

• "Trans" and "Disabled" are the intersectional components. "White" is not. The term wasn't even in existence until looking at the struggles of minorities of minorities. Note that you can use only the term "White" if you couple it with other things however the terms "Asian", "Black", "Hispanic", etc. do not need extra situations to qualify.

You do not know or care to know what intersectionality is.

What Girls Said 2

• I have never heard of this term, so it means nothing to me. It makes no difference who uses it for what in my opinion.

• It is not