Women’s Day

#PressforProgress

Happy Women's Day: Do you think that women in general have achieved equality?

• Women have had already achieved it, and now, they are trying to be superior to men.
  • Yes, women of the world have achieved equality.
  • No, there's still a long way to go.
    Vote C
  • I refuse to participate in the poll.
    Vote D

2256

Most Helpful Guy

• Drunk woman kills two pedestrians: sentenced to time served and alcohol rehab.

Black man exonerated of rape charge after 3 years imprisoned via DNA evidence that he had to appeal for over a decade after it became available to have taken: compensated $75. His false accuser faced no punishment.

Teen girl throws baby out her second story bedroom window, killing it. Sentenced to therapy, paid for by the taxpayer, 200 hours community service, I'm not kidding, disallowed from having a Facebook account until she is 18.

Millions of women abort babies without being required to have consent from the father: legal and taxpayer funded.

One guy disagrees with keeping the baby and induces abortion in the woman he got pregnant with abortifacent pill: serving 13 year sentence.

Those are just some news high lights from recent years of the top of my head.

Women havn't achieved equality, they've achieved legal supremacy.

• Ahem. Speaking the truth.

• Wow what a typo... that black man was not released after 3 years, but 31. His name is Lawrence McKinney, for anyone who cares to edify themselves of the nothing more than simple FACTS that I have recited, instead of merely advertising your willful ignorance with you little down votes.

• @Immortal_God_King they don't care about facts... their feelings are far more important

Most Helpful Girl

• In the Western world, yes. But there are still many women in third world countries that are far from the equality we have.

What Guys Said 55

• It depends on where in the world you are talking about. In the Western world, they generally have. In what we used to call the Third World they have a very long way to go.

Per se, I have no real objection to the idea of Women's Day, but it seems a stretch to turn a biological fact into the basis of an extraordinary recognition. It all seems rather overdone.

At least in the context of the United States, it is a bit behind the facts. Women are graduating from high school and college at much higher rates than men. More men die by murder and suicide. More men are in prison than women. The lifespan of men is declining for the first time in American history, women are living longer. Men's incomes are stagnating, women's are increasing. (Accounting for differences in tenure and experience, breaks for pregnancy, etc. the wage gap between men and women is all but gone.)

By the data, women in the United States are thriving and men are in trouble. Yet, contra the data, we persist with an outdated assumption that women are oppressed and in need of recognition just by virtue of the fact that they are women, rather than on the basis of what they have accomplished.

We play the fiddle while Rome burns. We have seen the effects of the afflictions impacting men - including more single mothers, increased rates of delinquency, rising drop out rates among boys, among much else.

All in all, we would be better off confronting the facts and dealing with them rather than making of fetish of who has a vagina.

• Women have for the most part always been equal to men. The only way you can come to the conclusion that they are not is if you actively ignore all the things men go through that women don't which feminist do. For instance women not being able to vote which every one knows about, but what no one talks about is that men for almost all of history couldn't vote either. In fact in the US universal male suffrage did not occur until 1853, 67 years before women, in the UK it only happened 10 years before womens suffrage. The other problem is they ignore why men got it sooner then women which was due to two things, one that men where forced into conscription against their will in every single nation in the world without exception through out all of history which women never had to do (and in fact in the west they where also conscripted into bucket brigades for fires as well as possess for the police (in the US at least)) which would result in imprisonment if they refused. This was the primary reason why men where even eligible to vote, because they where contributing to the running of the countries with their very lives. The other reason that held women back from the right to vote was in fact women. They saw what men had to do to get that right and they refused, in fact one survey done in England stated that 70% of women did not wish to have the right to vote explicitly because they did not wish to have the responsibility of being conscripted against their will. The list goes on. In fact this is a right that to this day women have that men don't, by law the only way a man gets the right to vote, take out state and federal loans, be eligible for state and federal grants, get a license is if he signs the selective service card which allows the government to conscript him if they deem it necessary, women on the other hand get access to all of these things simply by virtue of being born in the US.

You see the same thing in other nations. Take Boko Haram for example. They had been protesting not the educating of girls but the educating of children in the western systems. Yet when they killed a 100 boys and let all the girls leave, no one batted an eye. When they went to another school and told the girls to leave and never again enter a western style school while burning alive 50 boys ranging in age from 8 years old to 17, again no one batted an eye, it was not talked about. It was only when they kidnapped 100 girls and did not harm any of them did any one take notice

• So we know that for the most part, men are the ones with issues but because we are not as inclined to address them (and they are numerous and far out number anything women are currently going through) it only seems as if we need a women's day. I mean what did this site do for men's day? What did you do? Probably didn't even know we had one because no one can be bothered to care about it. So statistically and anecdotally and historically we can say quite conclusively that women have never been oppressed and have never needed a "woman's day".

• Women in the west exceeded gender equality a while ago, and are just fighting now for more and more gender specific perks. Women virtually anywhere else get treated like dirt, but western women are far too petty, stupid, and arrogant to even lend a thought to those women. And feminism is cancer.

• Women in developed nations : Yes. A very long time ago.
    Women in third world nations : Yes but only in major cities.
    Women in third world nations : No. Majority of women don't have access to good education.

• i guess it depends on what we mean when we say "in general"
    progress towards equality has certainly occurred and in large steps in the last 100 years. but we still strive for true equality for all people

• I think instead of everyone trying to be equal, (which none of us are) we should be celebrating our differences and the things that make each of us uniquely great.

• Men and women are equal. They are not the same, and never will be.

Stop trying to make men and women exactly the same people with different equipment between their legs.

Recognize our differences and embrace them.

• I was going to pick the second option if it wasn't for the fact that it said "women of the world". In the west, then definitely, since women have more legal rights than men, and there is nothing holding a woman back, except for maybe a feminist breaking her spirit by telling her that there's a fictional patriarchy designed to hold her down.
    In other parts of the world, though, equality is far from achieved.

• I ain't religious...

But Sodom and Gomorrah.

FUCK FEMINISM - IT WAS ONLY INVENTED SO THE RICH ELITES COULD TAX AN EXTRA HALF OF THE POPULATION YOU FOOLS!

• Oops I actually misclicked on this poll.
    Women in WESTERN countries have achieved equality. But not in the world.

I do believe our society needs to encourage women to take on careers that they want (That are male dominant).

• women have achieved selective equality... they are equal when it suits them.

how many women die in armed conflicts compared to men? women are favoured when it comes to custody of children. a man hits a woman and he is the scum of the earth, but if a woman hits a man he deserved it?

women want men to pay for first dates, they want men to open doors for them well fuck that shit

yeah... im actually glad im single. i want nothing to do with the hypocrisy of women these days.

you know what, im more than happy to a single man with no commitments.

• there's NO SUCH THING AS EQUALITY!!! We should strive for equal opportinity thats it equal out come is impossible unless forced with racist and sexist affirmative action.

• I think in most things, yeah. But there will still always be those other issues like no equal pay, workplace sexual harassment, etc. And then at the same time the system is treating women better in some areas than it treats men.

• In the developed world, women have achieved equality for the most part; but, poor women of the developing world have no legal rights with limited opportunities in backward cultures.

• Till females are ready to stop shopping, and stopping putting out, you'll be workin and workin an workin. Of course, if you were ready to die for the cause, well...

In lieu of that, genetic uplifting of humanity is more likely and on the way. Wait for it!

• Certainly not in the US with the attempts by the Trump administration to roll back reproductive freedom.

• So you are saying they lost some privilege and rights to achieve equality. For example are they now required to sign up for selective service?

• As of now 66% of guys are with 1st option and I think that they are like already superior to men and 43%of them thinks that there's still long way to go so just how much more superior to us girls wanna be? OwO girls will dominate the world lol😂

• I think women overshot equality and are now the gender with more preferential treatment across the board while men are largely depreciated.

• They originally where more equal then they are now in progressive society's and this is often at the expense of men.

• the white man is officially the only person without a holiday. sucks to be me!

• If people think it's over, they are clueless. There are tons of places where women have little or no rights at all

• I mean.. congratulations on being born the correct gender and in the right country for it? I dunno.

• We all have equal opportunity (minus individual ability and family resources).

I personally don't think dictating that each sex makes the same income makes equality though. Averaging up income without the context of hours worked, profession, and even negotiating ability doesn't show doesn't show the value the market demands from them (their pay). Having set wages by sex reminds me more of aspects of communism. Communism was supported by the progressive party so that makes sense. They were trying to "change the world for the better" just like progressives do right. They wanted us to economically be like Russia. At least women would get equal pay then. What great progressiveness that'd be. Most progressives also want to ban free speech so we'd be even more like the progressive utopia of Russia.

I do agree with certain unfairnesses that happen to both men and women. I haven't found those issues being made on the equality platform though.

• Western women have reached equality in society, and a niche and very vocal group of the radical Feminists want superiority.

• In the Western world, yeah, I'd say so.

Generally speaking, both sexes enjoy certain privileges and certain burdens.

• Women in the middle east have certainly not achieved equality. However, the middle east is clearly not the subject of feminist campaigns (though it should be).

As for women in the entire rest of the world: there are no longer any laws in place that actively, outright discriminate against women. However, in the social sense, there are still certain perceived "roles" and stereotypes that have stubbornly stuck around.

That said, the solution to such problems are not regulations and quotas. They can be fought on the social level, through education and media, without sacrificing anyone's civil liberties in the process.

• It’s illegal to have a miscarriage in most of South America. That’s pretty discriminatory against women.

• @Astoriana What I don't agree with is the use of irrelevent cases to further a movement that claims to advocate equality for both genders, therefore disallowing the existence of an effective men's rights activist group, but in practice only concerns itself with female struggles and abandons those of men.

It's also unethical to USE female suffering in other nations, which you're doing nothing to fight against, as a means of pushing an agenda (and a jaded one, at that).

• No one is disallowing anything, and it shows your immaturity to believe that one person’s focus on one thing means that they automatically hate another.

• I don't think they necessarily are already there. However many people seemed to have selected that they are and are now trying to overrun men. I'd say that they actually forked on a path away from equality and more towards retardation. They're just a bunch of negative Nancys who solely want attention for something they need to fix on their own. Now that they have a voice, they have power, and now that they have power they display their hatred and negativity towards the world because they are delusional and believe the reason they are a crappy person is because of everyone else - or in this case men. What they say towards others is really how they feel about themselves.

• Back to the main point, equality is there and established. It's known to workplaces and such, but it's not completely built into society yet.

• First world countries however do not need feminism as badly as other countries (mainly ones that run Islam as their main religion). I can't find or recall the location anymore, but in a certain country, it's completely illegal to be female.

• Show more from Guys
    25

What Girls Said 21

• This is nothing more than a hallmark tradition now for women in the West. Are we that insecure we need a holiday with gift giving to feel better about ourselves? For those in seriously suffering places, okay... but we are forgetting what the point of this holiday is and now it’s becomming meaningless and something to stroke our priveledged egos. Gross.

• Yeah it's political correctness i m o. We are kind of in the middle of a victim Olympics. How offended can you be? We'll give you things for your outrage.

I mean, if they dropped the level of political correctness, then I would feel more desire to want to support the small issues. I listen to bloomberg business, and there are even serious people on there advocating for fixing a wage gap. I heard a girl "angel investor" group the other day, focused on trying to support womens' start ups. That's all great and everything, but I feel like supporting people by their merit or their ideas makes much more sense then by their sex. They want to subsidize the gender I guess. I've even heard companies using the marketing idea of trying to get buyers because a girl owns the business. It's too much judging by the color of skin or gender for me. I'd rather judge by content of character like MLK.

• @cavmanier Right on. I'm with you.

• It's actually really annoying. Why do both men and women want quotas for men?

You don't pout for your respect, you earn it through merit.

I don't expect boys to treat me any differently, because I'm a girl. However, I know they do... but they do and usually in very sweet gestures, and while I'm not attracted to men, I still think men drew the short straw.

Suicide statistics for men explain that pretty clearly.

• Sucks to be a man. Glad ah ain't wone. I wouldna treat none differently cos you got a snatch.

• Preach my lesbian sister 😁

I wouldn't argue men got the short end of the straw, but I think that is a valid discussion in a world where the opposite is strongly assumed.

• There is no 100% gender equality and I'm fine with that. There is never going to be gender equality to max, but there can be a decent amount of it. Both genders deal with their experiences of inequality. Not just women. I feel like we're good enough right when it comes to the whole equality thing when it comes to women. There a couple things I could rant about, but I don't care enough to go full out feminist on it. lmao

• In the western world, not in 3rd world countries obviously.

• I say women in the western world have gained equality but in places like the middle east especially where muslims thrive women are treated like crap and I'm not ok with that so I think if todays feminists want "equality" maybe go to the old world in the middle east where muslim is oppressing women

• LOL at the people who believe that the fight's over because women are allowed to go to school in most of the west. That's cute.

• This world still needs a lot of work. Both genders are fucked. What we needs is equality in both human beings how about that?

• I thank you for your view

• @Ahsthen

Some cultures are better then others. Cultures that promote more cooperation have less sexism, racism, less classism, and as a result less poverty or divide, which often studies show. Places of high poverty are often have very high crime rates. When a culture is very domination minded or hierarchal, there will always be a group that will be the top and rest who fall in line and hurt by it and more so and traits more valued than others. It's old traits from the past passed down and internalized even though are wold doesn't need the every man for himself mindset like in early civilization. I mean we're only a few years from having robots do most labor in this country.

• @brennanhuff : as in some older SF movies, Society doesn't have to be an institution, nor need one, to promote cooperation - and intimacy. I think the greatest challenge is the emotional, emotional autonomy yet openness the greatest of that.

• It depends on what area of the world we're talking about.

• Look at all the angry men who voted the first one lmfao

• It’s been achieved. They want superiority now.

• Legally pretty much, socially not so much.

• No, there’s still a long way to go.

• Not in a parts of the world yet!

• Fuck no.

• Only in some countries

• No we’re not equal. And we never will be. But that’s bc we simply are completely different. Women’s struggles will never be men’s struggles, and vice-versa. If you’re trying to go tit for tat it will never be equal. And THAT’S OKAY. And it’s not feminism that everyone hates. It’s the women who claim to be feminists who can’t and won’t do anything for herself. They are the ones who give feminism a bad name.

• There's still a long way to go.

• Here we go again. Uneducated people running their mouths about a topic they know nothing about and wanting nothing more than to argue.

• Why there are not Men´s Day? LOL LOL!! Men also have rights as women. Im a woman but not a feminist and I h ate the extreme feminits goes through to ask what they want from society.

Men and women will never be equal. Of course there are certain situations where women for sure have the right to fight for certain things but that is not to compete with men but to level to them instead and there are certain situations or thing that women can't really do only men regardless of how much feminists want to believe they can, sorry but this is the truth and we have to accept it.

It is like if a man is being a gentleman and wants to open the door for the lady and a feminist tell them "no thank you. I can do it myself". What a crap she is!! Let the guy do it what is wrong with that!!

For example women always will rely on men for protection and safety and in certain situations. Like if a women is walking through a lonely alley at midnite in a solitary city. Dont tell me the women or a feminist will say "Dont worry I can take care of myself I dont need a man for protection" Yeah right that is BS.

.. You will be safer with a man by your side in this case, and dont lie you won't. I know I will be. Why? Well that is something that probably is in a men´s brain that makes us believe they are protective and why they are different than us.

Or when women who decide to become a single mother and she decide she does not need a man to fullfill her dream to become a mom so she goes to a sperm bank to find suitable sperm donors. really? Hello!! You are going to a place where MEN is the main asset So you think a baby is made just with the female egg? LOL LOL! At the end the women will always need the sperm of a man and her egg to create a baby. SO you see the women needs the men heheh!!

"Men and women are equal but not the same".

• no we haven't

• Not completely but it’s getting there. However there are some things that should remain unequal as men are naturally better at certain things as women are in others, in these instances it’s about utilising each other’s strengths as a more effective dynamic team.