Ladies , does the size and cost of an Engagement ring important to you?

I came across a story on yahoo news today about a woman complaining about the engagement ring she got.

This is what she posted on an online forum.
So is the size and cost of the ring really that big of a deal?

update.

Most Helpful Girl

• Size and cost aren't important to me. I would just really want to love it. Personally, I don't like big rocks. I like something simple yet intricate (detailing). That does it for me

I like what I like

• Would you prefer to choose a ring together or you would want him to surprise you?

• Lmao! Yeah but at that point- why not go with him.
      If someone really loves and cares about you they will pay attention to you and know what you like

• well you "mistakenly" left your internet browser open so he can get a fair idea of what you want, and you also get to be surprised when he decides to propose... So win win :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Sadly for some girls, it does matter the size of the diamond. It's purely to satisfy their ego. I've known a couple girls who after recently getting engaged who gladly accepted an enormous rock yet complained to me and many others that it wasn't large enough and wanted to upgrade it.

Thankfully those girls are the minority and will most woman will gladly accept any diamond with a promise you want to live the rest of your life with her.

What Girls Said 23

• I work in jewelry. This isn't uncommon. Half the guys I see come in and say SHE WANTS AT LEAST 1 carat, 2 carats. Or whatever size it is.
    I think it's actually kind of sickening that this woman is so upset over the size of the diamond.
    Yes, she's going to be wearing it, and maybe he could have afforded more, but why is that what matters?
    I think it should be enough that he bought her an engagement ring, that he loves her so much he wants to spend his life with her. For her to make a big deal out of a diamond? Come on. No. Not right in my opinion. You find a guy that loves you and that you love too, he proposes you say yes. That ring is for the most part irrelevant in my mind.
    (I mean if he's way off with your style, to me that's a bit of a red flag. You wear white he buys yellow, you like simple he buys flashy, you like modern he buys vintage. That's where I might be a little "does he even know me?")
    For me personally I'd sacrifice size and and drop down a bit on clarity for an excellent or ideal cut diamond with a high color grade.
    I'd rather have a good diamond that's small than a huge diamond that when I look at it there's so many inclusions it's like it's looking back a me.
    I think this woman is being petty. And I hope she comes to her senses or he realizes she's so petty before he has a real issue on his hands. Maybe she's not a gold digger but she sure as hell sounds like it.

• Some care and some don't. I wanted a natural stone because it's cheaper and different so it stands out more than the traditional. But almost all my friends did care to have a diamond so they were involved in the whole design process. If she's having to wear it every day then I think it's thoughtful to at least make sure it's something she likes. The truth is that it's always a competition for most girls. But some of us don't care.

• Size and cost is important to me. I don't want an engagement ring that is huge and all covered in gems, it'd be way too awkward. Cost is important too, we need money, wasting a whole lot of money on a ring is dumb.

• No, it is no big deal. There are far more important things. If I ever marry my guy, I do not even want anything more than the cheapest there is, and a brass curtain ring as a wedding ring.

• That's stupid. Size and cost are going to be important to me but not for the reason the other's think it's important. I wouldn't want much spent on a ring, the money could be better spent elsewhere. Also, I wouldn't want a ring that big, you can't work with your hands and have a big rock get in the way.

• I really wouldn't care. It could be fake for all I care.

• I own a small diamond ring because it was a gift that someone gave to me, & I value and treasure that ring because of who gave it to me. It has special meaning. What matters is what that ring represents to me, what it means to me. I do not care about the size or the price. Wouldn’t be any different if it were an engagement ring, I would still feel the same way.

• The ring doesn't matter at all to me. I'll be excited enough that he proposed! That fact that he loves me and wants to spend his life with me is all that matters~. <3

• no my engagement ring is small but I love it.

• I paid for mine so I picked out the size.

• I want a custom ring. Don't care about price and stuff. But I am not into traditional rings.

• Yeah custom ring is good. I got my SO a custom made ring (I designed myself- gold and diamonds), cost me a few K but everyone she sees says how nice which makes me feel great!!

• Nah As Long As The Design Is Nice, I Wouldn't Even Care If It Was $2 lol

• No. I honestly just care about being with the one I love. I don't even care about having a wedding

• it's just an engagement ring. I never got one and still don't have a marriage ring.

• nope until it's not a ringpop

• No. That's shallow.

• not at all

• No, it's what it represents. I want a simple ring, not fancy shit.

• It's not much importance

• Not really. But i think she has a point why she disappointed. It's not just about a ring. She's disappointed because she know that he could buy a ring more than that but he didn't.

Example, if my guy is a real estate investor or something, then, my expectation will include: he buy me an expensive fancy ring. Just because, he can afford it. But, if my guy income is standard as some people, then I wouldn't expect any fancy ring. I wouldn't care what he buy. That makes everything different.

• Gold digger

• You're not doing well to convince people.

• @Toad-1 like i care, duh..

• No it doesn't matter.

• Not really for all that matter is the love and the romantic tough of the guy. If my boyfriend gives me a $3 ring and purpose to me I be auper happy as long as he loves me cares for me protects me I am more then happy.

• Nope not at all. In fact I wouldn't want one that's ridiculously expensive as I don't agree with spending loads of money on a piece of jewellery.

What Guys Said 5

• I think it matters that you've made an effort in choosing it but the cost is not the main issue. The woman in that forum post sounds like a spoiled princess and I would rather keep the ring myself than give it to her.

• Of course it is. It's also a very good indicator of what kind of woman you picked. Is she gracious and appreciative, thrilled to be with YOU? Or in it for some kind of social status or what she can get?

It's been said the higher the cost of the wedding the higher the percentage it will fail. A wedding is all about the bride - no guy in his right mind would spend thousands on a huge party to show off. He'd buy a giant TV and lots of beers and have a grand ol' time.

• just because he can afford it today doesn't mean he can afford it tomorrow.
    in my opinion she is a ungrateful gold digger. if the ring isn't good enough for her, give her the money let her pay for a nicer one.

• Yeah

• a woman truley in love with a man will be happy just from the proposal, the ring doesn't matter at all, its really a pointless status symbol from ancient noble families where they would pass down ornate family rings.