What to do when a partner changes their mind about marriage?

Anonymous
My partner and I have been together for almost 2 years and living together for 1.5 years.

We've both had long term relationships in the past (my longest was 5 years and his was 8) so it's not new to us although I've never lived with a partner before whilst he had.

During the time we were darting, we talked about marriage and what our views were on it. I told him that for me personally, I wouldn't just cohabit for the rest of my life with someone and I would like to get married to which he responded that he felt the same way.

Now we were talking about it again last night (we live in Australia and there are debates about same sex marriages at the moment so we got talking about marriage in general) and he says that his view has changed, he would only get married once we start talking about kids. So I asked him "if we don't/can't have kids, would you be content just being as we are now without ever getting married?" and his reply was yes.

I don't know how I feel about this. I love him but I don't think I can just live with someone for the rest of my life without getting married. Not from a religious point but more of a commitment and legal view.

I'm 27 and he's 34 so we're not kids anymore I just don't know if I'm wasting my time here or not.

I've given up and compromised on so many different things in this relationship already and I don't think marriage is something I can give up on just because he doesn't seem to want it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I'm feeling pretty lost right now.
4
8