Guys: Opinion on weddings?

I'm in love with the idea of marriage, the whole dress and ceremony, happy stuff (like your own personal christmas!) and plus you get a honeymoon where people legit know you're gonna bang. A lot. But my boyfriend believes it's just a traditional thing, mixed with culture and religion. He states that he doesn't need a paper to prove he will love me or take care 9f me, etc. This bums me a little, getting confused about what marriage is really about. So! Guys and girls! Tell me your opinion on marriage! Guys: Opinion on weddings?
  • Marriage is a symbolic and meaningful moment
    Vote A
  • Marriage is a scam to waste a lot of money.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a scam.
    But if it's a scam that makes her happy I'll do it for her.

3|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• you want a wedding, it can be beautiful big and white and flashy and showy cause it’s the stereotypical girl dream to dream about her wedding since she’s 5 years old, or it can be something small and intimate. But if you’re wanting that name change just for the sake of ceremony and flash and not to make that promise to be with someone the rest of your life “in sickness and in health till death do us part” then don’t spend the money to go through all of it. Ultimately, a wedding is two people coming together in front of friends and family to say “hey, this one here? That’s my person. Don’t touch my person. I love this person. I would do anything and everything for that person. No ifs ands or buts about it.”

2|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• I find most of the trappings strange: the dress, the make-up, the dancing, the father giving the bride away, the engagement rings, etc. I do however really like the basic idea of vowing to be together forever before friends, family, and God (if you believe).

2|0
    0|0
  • yea marriage is pretty much a scam at this point. you need a big ass ring to confess your love? lol and why do you need the government involved in your love affairs? just seems ridiculous to me

0|1
    0|0
    • The gov needs to be involved so you can get the economical be

• -- benefits of marriage. 😂... My bad, cat stepped on phone

• There are no benefits of marriage. You pay a shit ton for the wedding, the ring etc and then they combine your earnings/name... When you could've just done that yourselves without the gov involved. Eloping if you wanna get married is the best thing at this point.

• Don't care that much about the money, but i don't want to marry, anyway.
    I prefer to choose other options... XP

0|0
    0|0
  • I want to be married someday but feel that a traditional wedding is far too expensive.

2|1
    0|0
    • But what about a small ceremony with close family n friends?

• That sounds nice

• My boyfriend and I are going around in circles trying to figure out what we want to do. We want to be married. We want to celebrate with family and friends. But we don't want to drop tens of thousands of dollars... But in this day and age it is damn near impossible to have a wedding for under $20,000, even when you go totally bare bones. I've suggested eloping and then having a reception at a community hall but he doesn't like that idea because people will not treat attending that as importantly as they treat going to an "actual" wedding. He wants to do a destination wedding.

• Well, you asked two questions: Opinion on weddings, and then in your actual poll, opinion on marriage. They aren't the same-- a wedding is one day, and a marriage is potentially a lifetime. They aren't the same. Personally the idea of both freaks me out a bit, especially the wedding.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh my bad, didn't notice the difference... Why is the wedding freaking you out?

• Too much attention all on you, all at once, for a whole day, with everyone you've ever known in your life? Yeah... that's a lot to handle.

• I just like you can't wait either, the ceremony yeah that is great but the honey moon, I won't be leaving my room! Cause I want to wait for marriage I hope she is as eager as I am lol

1|0
    0|0
  • An expensive tradition that I am not sure if it's legit, I mean, divorces happen right? Seems like a waste of money if the marriage is not legit

1|0
    0|0
  • Marriage helps to maintain a guy towards you trustable n loyal and give him strength to think twice before doing anything.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a meaning a vow n a promise to eachother tht they would stand for eachother understand n be one n together whatever happen n get into each other accepting their culture responsiblity families.

1|0
    0|0
  • Weddings are about having an extravagant ceremony, inviting a bunch of people you barely know, and ending up in tens of thousands of dollars in debt right from the start. Then arguing all the time because there is no money left to actually enjoy your life together.
    And by the time things finally start going good, there is divorce, the woman ripps off the man for everything he has earned over the years, and then tries to steal his kids, not because she actually cares about them, but because she wants child support checks to continue to rob him for years to come.
    Getting married is one of the worst mistakes a man can make in the USA.

0|2
    1|0
  • Very few men have a problem with marriage. EVERY man has a problem with divorce.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd like to marry one day. I've never been to a wedding so so know nothing about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Come on
    Not only wedding all ceremonies before and after weeding is a must

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't want a wedding it's a meaningless thing for me , and I'm indifferent on marriage

0|0
    0|0

0|2
    0|0
  • Choice A

1|0
    0|0
  • Fuck marriage

0|2
    1|0

1|1
    0|0
  • I think its nice

0|0
    0|0
  • I would only marry a girl if she's a virgin. I'm a virgin waiting until marriage so I would expect a girl to be a virgin. It's only meaningful and symbolic to me if I were marrying a girl that was a virgin.

There is no more real point to marriage anymore. Unless a girl is a virgin or the couple are both virgins and waiting until marriage and they want it to be special, really there is no reason for people to marry anymore. Divorce rates, a court system that favors women, no fault divorce so women get half a man's assets, premarital sex, possibility the girl cheats, and other things make marriage unappealing. Then there's the cost of marriage which is expensive. I'm a virgin and I would only be willing to marry a girl if she was a virgin. I already accepted that I will be alone forever unless I am able to date and marry a girl that is a virgin. Otherwise I'll die a virgin and never experience the love and affection of a girl.

0|0
    1|2
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 13

• I've recently been totally in love with the idea of getting married! I don't want to have to spend a lot of money but I want a lot of friends and family to show up. It's the whole idea that makes me happy. The money doesn't matter

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never been a fan. You use all this money on something that doesn't matter. Spending it on a house, car or even a nice holiday would be more appropriate. If I was to even get married, legally, It would be for my partner's sake not my own. I guess I've never understood it.

1|1
    0|0
    • You don't have to have an expensive wedding. All that matters is that you get someone to wed you and go through the documents. Hell, you might be able to get away with it without spending a dime.

• Show All
    • @JustALonelySoul in Australia we have "de-facto marriage", in the states I believe it's called common law marriage. My parents never signed any marriage documents but are offered the same legal rights as those who are married.

• Definitely don't know how it all works there in Australia. A whole other ball game there! Lol.

• I haven't been to a wedding in a real long time. I think they are great, and who says a wedding has to be expensive anyways? You can be creative with your own weddings and spend and less as you want.

1|0
    0|0
    • Everyone i know who's gotten married in the last 10 years said the same thing... and then ended up spending way more than they anticipated just to have a halfway decent wedding. The wedding industry is fucking insane.

• Doesn't sound to me like either of you have the right idea about marriage. You sound like you're a lot more interested in the wedding than being married. I'd say that neither of you are ready to begin seriously thinking about taking that step.

0|0
    0|0
    • That is pretty normal at your age though. At this point in your life marriage should be a distant future thing that you fantasize about a bit but don't take seriously as something that you will be doing any time soon.

• Due to language limitations, i genuinely didn't think there was a difference in the two words. I like the whole symbolic meaning of the wedding and what it actually means, to share a life with someone. My partner is leaning over the fact that, an "official" piece of paper nor the ceremony itself won't change our relationship as it is. Just "titles"

• Marriage is a meaningless waste of money, and I will teach my children the same!

0|0
    1|0
  • Just stay with the man you love regardless of legal marriage.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm fine with marriage, but I hate weddings. I just find them a huge waste of money.

1|1
    0|0
  • To me I want to be married because I want to be 10000% fully committed to the love of my life, and it feels like in a marriage you work harder to resolve issues. I want to buy a house with my partner but would never do that without that level of commitment. Thankfully my boyfriend wants marriage too.

"the whole dress and ceremony, happy stuff (like your own personal christmas!) and plus you get a honeymoon where people legit know you're gonna bang" makes it sound like you only want to get married to have the ceremony and don't really think about what happens after the honeymoon.
    I know I want to grow old with my partner, so whereas I do love the idea of a fancy ceremony and the attention, I am more excited at the thought of being with my partner for life knowing we are "one" :)

0|0
    0|0
    • Hahaha but my question was about weddings, although i misused the word marriage afterwards. My partner and I are both into the whole living together and all, but the actual meaning of the wedding is where we have different opinions.. He thinks its unnecessary to go through the whole wedding process whilst i long for the title husband and wife. To me it's much more official and committed, but he believes he doesn't need a title nor a ceremony to promise me he'll love me till death do us apart and blabla

• Ah I see!
      To me that would be a dealbreaker, one of my ex's couldn't necessarily see himself getting married/or he felt like he needed to and that was part of the reason I broke up with him!

As you're still young don't worry too much as opinions can change very quickly, however if you were my age I'd say think carefully about whether you're wasting time by being with him or whether it is something you could live without.

• Hahaha thank you! We are Young but I made it clear from the beginning that it's something important to me 😂 he said "why not" so it's all good!

• Marriage is a symbolic and meaningful moment. A wedding is not. Sounds like you're more into the wedding part than the marriage part.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hahaha but my question was about weddings, although i misused the word marriage afterwards. My partner and I are both into the whole living together and all, but the actual meaning of the wedding is where we have different opinions.. He thinks its unnecessary to go through the whole wedding process whilst i long for the title husband and wife. To me it's much more official and committed, but he believes he doesn't need a title nor a ceremony to promise me he'll love me till death do us apart and blabla

• Show All
    • The vows and blabla

• He wants you to change your last name too, but without marrying him, how does that work?

• that meme XD

1|0
    0|0
  • I like weddings.

1|0
    0|0
  • You said you are in love with the idea of marriage but not the truest sense of marriage. It's not all about the wedding dress, the wedding day, reception, grand honeymoon but what comes after - a lifetime of through thick and thin, better or worse, till death. Are you ready for that? Or just the thought of a grand wedding for one day excites you?

3|2
    1|0
  • The ceremony is waste of money.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes