Does a man need to buy an engagement ring to propose? What if he can't afford one? Does it mean the proposal have to wait?

Most Helpful Guy

• the ring is just a symbol, it all comes down to the couple and how they want to proceed with their relationship. can always pick out the ring later together. plus girls are way better at picking out jewellery 😂

Most Helpful Girl

• Not necessary. If you love one anther a materialistic thing shouldn't matter.

What Guys Said 29

• I think it's a good thing for him to wait until he can afford one. Let me put it this way... if he can't afford an engagement ring (even if it's just a fairly cheap one) how can you expect him to provide financially? Now maybe you're fine with that and have an expectation that you're going to provide or at least help provide, and fair enough good for you taking initiative. But... if he wants to be in a position to marry someone he needs to be somewhat financially stable, and I think if someone is financially stable they don't have to save a lot to get a ring. I dunno that's just my perspective. It's not that the ring has to come with the engagement but it's a sign that he's not in a great place financially if he can't afford a ring (though it's different if it's that one specific ring xD).

• I still support using ring pops! www.candywarehouse.com/.../ring-pop-on-hand.jpg

• In all honesty, if he can't afford a decent ring, when you have no business getting married as finances aren't settled yet or employment is still a problem. Marriage doesn't fix these things and love doesn't pay the bills. It doesn't mean you can't get married, or he can't propose, it just means now isn't the best time.

• No a man does not need to buy an engagement ring to propose to a woman to tell her that he wants to love her for the rest of his life. If he cannot afford one the love he shares with that young lady is the wedding ring in itself. And no it doesn't have to wait a man should Express the way he feels about a woman and how much he loves her and the Gratitude he has for her being in his life every day especially on the day that he thinks that his life should be spent with her

• You can get diamond rings under $100, so i'm not sure what the excuse is there.

• Exactly they have them at Macy's

• I’m rather biased due to my parents, I told the story on another opinion here but I’m too lazy to retype it, long story short to me it’s more of a gesture of love, before my dad became successful he proposed to my mom with a ring he had saved for for over a year and borrowed money from her parents, over 20 years later and she still cherishes that ring despite my dads offers to replace it. (She’s clumsy and has dropped it a few times😂)
      So to me that story is about my dad loving my mom and sacrificing to get her a ring he knew she would treasure, not my mom being materialistic. (She didn’t request an expensive ring, they were living off of cup of noodle at the time lol)

• @valiant yeah it honestly depends on you. if you like more flashy and that's what you were taught then go for flashy. my mom likes the more flashy too

• There are commitment rings.

My grandfather gave my grandmother one before he was able to afford a engagement ring to propose to her.

if he isn't running around spending money on himself. Its acceptable, they are a nice way of letting the other person know ☺.

• I bought one because I was in a financial place to buy one. But they absolutely aren't necessary, it's you two that matter, not the symbol :)

• I don't care what my financial situation is, when I propose I'm buying my girl a rock 💍

That being said... if you can't afford one, I don't think it should be an issue and the the guy can still propose.

• No. That's a common lie proposed by and supported by the jewelry industry. It sells a lot of product. The ring is no more essential to the engagement than a flag is essential to found a nation. It's merely a common symbology.
    That said, it IS a traditional step, and your offer is likely to be met less favorably without it.

• It's a tradition. Do you care? Same answer to both questions.

• I bought a engagement ring for my first ex-girlfriend
    and always said i would never do it again cause that
    ring cost me over $200.00. than 5 days later she breaks
    up with me cause of lies her mother filled in her head
    about dating certain guys. So she believed her mom.

• If it's in his financial means, I do think he should buy a ring for the symbolism. It's a tricky one as I don't think he should be a cheap-ass but at the same time, spending a shit load of money can look vulgar and materialistic and almost like a woman can be bought.

• Ehhh, I’d have to disagree.
      My parents married before my dad became a successful businessman, back when they were pretty much broke young adults, and my mom didn’t love him for his future money.
      He saved for over a year and then borrowed from my mothers parents to buy an incredibly beautiful, expensive ring that my mother still cherishes. They’ve been happily married for over twenty years and still act like newlyweds, I’ve never seen anyone more in love.
      My dad has even offered to replace the ring (my mom is a tad clumsy and has dropped it more then once) but she adamantly refuses, she still treasures that ring, and not because of the price tag.

• Good for you. Your difference of opinion won't change mine.

• If rings and certificates mean more to people than actual companionship... Good luck.

Back to the question lol. It's all about symbolism. Your chap could afford something if he can afford anything. Doesn't have to be crazy diamonds, so long as you yourself only care about thr size and expense of said ring. He could make you one out of fibre glass/paper mache... A ring is merely a symbol.

• Only this kind of ring
    sampleaday.com/.../official.png

• I made a ring on a metal lathe out of brass and polished so it looked like solid gold. Cost me $1. If there is desire, there is a way.

• If your marriage is a financial decision then yes. If your marriage is a decision of love and wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone, then who gives a damn if there is a ring?

• I'm betting most women say 'yes'. Too few value true love and sincere commitment. Nothing means anything without a giant, useless diamond and a marriage certificate. Kinda sad, really.
    Where have all the good women gone?

• Probably to the men who AREN’T super cheap and have different views on an engagement ring.

• Bought with trinkets? If you’re not financially stable enough to purchase a ring, then how can you help pay for a marriage, a mortgage, a car?

• Actually, a financially stable man is less likely to blow money on a useless ring. He's already paying on home and auto loans; he has better things to spend his money on. Investing in a trade that would be considered criminal if it was happening in countries predominantly occupied by whites doesn't prove anything about financial security. Have you ever met a wealthy person? Most of them waste less money than the poverty-stricken, based on percentages. Maybe he's not even paying on a home and car, but because he understands how money and markets actually work, he knows gemstones are a terrible investment unless you're buying in at the industry level, not the retail level. Maybe he's just a true romantic who values love and commitment over flash and materialism. Don't worry, my knowledge and opinion on this matter won't damage the "love" lives of trifling gold diggers, or the men who would rather buy "love". There's someone for everyone.

• I would say that if it is an official proposal of engagement that both parties agree with and accept, then you could present a letter that states this, that both parties could sign, and it could then be considered an official act of engagement.

• That's the way the world thinks but. Don't think I'd mind if the woman did it, I feel like you can get engaged and get the ring later

• Of course not, you could even buy a cheapo $5 ring. What matters is that you love each other.

• U don't have to buy an expensive ring. If she complain about the price. Ask her would u rather me spend all my money on a ring or home...

• If he can't afford a ring, He won't be able to afford much of anything else when you get married. Love is great. But love won't pay the rent, love won't be able to buy a car or pay bills. Although It's not about being materialistic, but it is about being realistic. The top two reasons for divorce and cheating is money and sex. Buying a ring is the first step is showing he can provide for you and his family.

• It's a good way to waste money that could be spent on improving the car, house or bills.

• @Charleslvajr In your opinion, buying a woman a wedding ring is a waste of money?

• Yes, unless you have plenty of disposable income. Otherwise it's an unnecessary waste of resources that could be better served elsewhere. BTW: Married 14 years and yes, I bought my wife a wedding ring. I had disposable resources.

• Yes he does. It can be a ring from a gumball machine to propose with as long as he can give her a ring she deserves later.

• Yes I am old fationed

• Dont get married, just be happy)

• Do you love each other dearly?

• No and he does not have to wait

• Depends if girl thinks love has price an symbol

• If he can't afford a ring he should propose at first place

What Girls Said 18

• It used to be the etiquette that the proposal would happen but wasn't official until it was announced, with a ring exchanged. The man would propose, then visit a reputable jeweler and have the jeweler set aside several rings in his budget, then have the lady choose from among them.

• 1) YES
    2) LOVE WILL FIND A WAY
    3) YES
    Part of the chivalry and allure for the girl is that her boy will find a way to buy her a ring, and the more sacrifice it takes the more valuable and stronger the love is thought to be by her as she knows what her boy has had to do to get it for her. This will greatly increase the bond between them.
    Why will a boy that will not do what ever it takes to show his love for her in this way do anything else to sacrifice for her as the relationship develops? Answer - He won't, he has proven that already.
    A girl wants a boy that she knows, with all certainty, will die for her to defend her and protect her!
    So is working a little extra hard for a ring for her really too much to ask?
    Just wondering:)

• FH could propose to me with a rick pop, a piece f string, his shoelace - anything it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean the proposal has to wait, we aren't getting married to whore ourselves out on fb.
    I am not materialistic at all, as long as it came from his heart, thats all i want

• He doesn't necessarily have to buy a ring, but he should have at least some kind of ring to propose with.

• If the man isn’t rich and can’t afford an expensive ring, he can always just buy a cheap ring for less than $10. I don’t need some fancy ring, but I wouldn’t find it a proper proposal without one

• It is not about ring that is really relevant. You can get engaged without it. I would. The problem is if you can't afford ring, do you really want get married in bad financial situation? Are you working, is she?

• If he's worth being engaged to, she won't mind if it’s a rubber band.

• No a ring isn't necessary.

• once my friend gave me a plastic ring she found in some chips packet as a birthday present. you can try that

• No he doesn’t

• It’s not a necessity but I think it’s fun and romantic. But you can get a beautiful ring for just a few hundred dollars. I don’t know what’s with this nonsense of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on engagement rings.

• Also, if you can’t afford a ring (even a more affordable one), how can you afford to help pay for a wedding?

• People take marriage too lightly. That's probably why most of them fail. I think you really need to have your stuff they're before you commit to another for, potentially, the next 60 years. If you can't afford a ring then you probably aren't ready.

• I don't need an engagement ring.
    I'd rather spend that money on something else.

• No it most definitely doesn't

• I expect my man to buy me a $3 hello kitty ring :D

• According to all of these online articles millennials are killing the diamond ring industry... so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

• Geezus, I wish that were true.

• @Chaz269 the media says so... so just bring up that one adam ruins everything episode and try to see if you can guilt trip your girlfriend in to not buying one because poor black kids are forced to dig em up in Africa

• Yes he does need to buy one

• He can either wait or purchase one from Macy's. they have bands for $100