Whats the point of marriage?

whats the point of getting married? What do you get outta being married except saying you have a wife or husband? does it get you any other benefits other then a big bill for a wedding that last one day? i don’t believe in marriage gives you anything except a expensive piece of paper. love to hear other peoples thoughts

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Legally you need to get married so when you get kids custody and shit doesn't get all wack or whatever. Also if you're not married and you're paralyzed in a hospital they won't ask your mate whether a surgical procedure is the right choice, theyll ask the parents and some people dont want that

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• For some people it's a religious thing. For others it's just a cultural thing. (That's what people do when they love each other.") For others, there are many legal things that change when you get married. You can file joint tax returns which sometimes saves money on taxes. If you're married, even if you don't have a paid job, you can collect Social Security benefits based on your spouse's work record. At my job, I can include a woman I'm married to on my health insurance, but can't include a woman I live with but am not legally married to even though there's no difference in the relationship other than that "expensive piece of paper". You can receive unlimited gifts from your spouse without having to pay gift taxes and unlimited inheritance without paying inheritance taxes. (Of course those limits are so high now that very few people get that benefit.) There are downsides too though, like I think at least in some cases you can be held responsible for your spouse's debts.

Relationship-wise I personally don't see a lot of point to it, but there are a bunch of legal things that do change by getting married.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• I've recently asked myself this question... makes it harder to run when times get tough.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Marriage is to make a total commitment for life, with the one you love. No other relationship is as deep or as total. I want to give that kind of commitment, and receive it as well. Nothing else builds such closeness and such trust and commitment to succeeding in happiness.

0|0
    0|0
  • A marriage certificate is the worst business contract you will ever sign. Heavy slanted against the husband financially. I'll never do it, they make it too easy for the wife to give up on the marriage and file for divorce. Women file for divorce 70% of the time, wonder why?

0|1
    0|0
  • I think marriage represents a legitimacy, especially in the eyes of older relatives and even governments. Sooner or later the 6 to 9 years of being asked when you're getting married takes its toll

0|0
    0|0
  • I really have no idea. There's kind of a romanticism around marriage

0|0
    0|0
  • oh you do not know. when two get married they become one flesh

0|0
    0|0
    • you can do that still being together forever you dont need piece of paper to do that

• Show All
    • one day you will

• no i won't only reason to get married is if it would benefit us both in either taxes or health insurance. or retirement.

• Tax breaks.

Offset by divorce bills.

0|1
    0|0
    • what kind of tax breaks would you get without kids?

• Don't know about the states, but in the UK, it allows you to pass some of your tax-free allowance to your partner, if you're not earning much.

Recommended myTakes