How long is the right amount of time before getting engaged/married?

• 6 months
  • 1 year
  • 2 years
    Vote C
  • 3 plus years
    Vote D

1718

Most Helpful Guys

• Why is the shortest option 6 MONTHS? That's a damn ling time if you're sure early on.

My parents and grandparents both went really fast. Less than three months. And they are still happily married.

Go until you KNOW. Then go for it! :)

Most Helpful Girls

• If you chose to get married, I think the relationship should be going strong for AT LEAST 4 years before you CONSIDER marriage. People are marrying too young, too fast and don't this life-long commitment seriously.. this is why the divorce rate is so high. 1-2 years is nowhere near long enough to make the decision to spend the rest of your life with someone.. NOWHERE NEAR.

• I don't think that's why divorce is so high. Most of the older people I know got married fairly quickly. And hardly any are divorced.

I'd say taking the commitment like a joke ends in divorce. But how soon you get married doesn't effect how seriously you take the commitment.

• I knew this older couple that got married the night they met. Been happily in love and married for 40+ years. Knew another couple that had been together for 7 years, got married, then divorced the next year. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It is a crap shoot really.