How long is the right amount of time before getting engaged/married?

• 6 months
    Vote A
  • 1 year
    Vote B
  • 2 years
    Vote C
  • 3 plus years
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Why is the shortest option 6 MONTHS? That's a damn ling time if you're sure early on.

My parents and grandparents both went really fast. Less than three months. And they are still happily married.

Go until you KNOW. Then go for it! :)

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If you chose to get married, I think the relationship should be going strong for AT LEAST 4 years before you CONSIDER marriage. People are marrying too young, too fast and don't this life-long commitment seriously.. this is why the divorce rate is so high. 1-2 years is nowhere near long enough to make the decision to spend the rest of your life with someone.. NOWHERE NEAR.

0|0
    2|1
    • I don't think that's why divorce is so high. Most of the older people I know got married fairly quickly. And hardly any are divorced.

I'd say taking the commitment like a joke ends in divorce. But how soon you get married doesn't effect how seriously you take the commitment.

• I knew this older couple that got married the night they met. Been happily in love and married for 40+ years. Knew another couple that had been together for 7 years, got married, then divorced the next year. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It is a crap shoot really.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Half of me wants to say when you know, you know.
    But the other half says you need a while to really get to know the person and be at least 95% sure you can trust them.
    Cause like, divorece, very common. And then there's the fact that the most likely person to murder you is your spouse.

1|1
    0|0
  • till you're both ready, and reach a level of understanding and respect and agree on that you're the best for eachother and would make a great partnership in life...
    in my opinion you should definitely live together first, experience life together through good and bad and lay down basic rules for your shared life, agree on everything and build the base for future plans, only then you're ready for the paper work !

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 night! fly to vegas, get drunk, and sign that paper! just kidding lols. i'd say for a lot of people i know in real life it's usually around 2-3 years. usually 2 years before they pop the question and ring.

0|0
    0|0
  • No answer will be right for everyone. When it's right for two people, then you do it. But thinking "it's been a year, guess we have to get married," (or whatever time you choose) is dangerous if it leads you to do things you're not really ready to do.

1|0
    0|0
  • No such thing as the right amount of time. Each couple will find it appropriate on their own terms. No 2 couples are alike in their time.

2|1
    0|0
  • There is NO “Right amount of time.” Totally depends on the couple.

4|1
    0|0
  • 2-3 years after they start dating, i think one would learn enough about the other partner in that time to be able to make a well informed decision

1|0
    0|0
  • When you are both old and grey and you know that they can leave cuz their knees are bad so running isn't an option!

0|1
    0|0
  • 3 years lol am not going to college. 2 years just too long. 1 year perfect.

0|1
    2|0
  • 2 years the longer the better

2|0
    0|0
  • Becausebyou didn't put the "never" option

1|1
    1|0
  • At least two years

3|0
    0|0
  • I'd say a year would be the bare minimum.

1|0
    0|0
  • wish l had a girl

0|2
    0|0
  • Forever.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 15

• It depends entirely on the couple. However I would suggest as a general rule to wait around 2 years because that's the time it takes to get to know someone. I personally am going to wait a few years, because I'm only 18 and am not ready for marriage. I'm still growing, maturing, and getting to know myself and being married would just complicate that. So for that reason I'd wait, also I'd like to know my partner completely.

2|1
    0|0
    • And even then it's not guaranteed you'll love each other to the grave :)

• After a year, it's a good time for a refresher. Have a conversation and ask each other why you like each other, where do you see the relationship going, ask if marriage or children are on the table. Just a good way to make sure you're on the same page. I think 2 years is good enough time to be certain if you want to marry someone. Try living together for 2 weeks to a month, as a test to be extra certain.

1|0
    0|1
  • It takes around 4+ years to get to know someone fully. And people change as we grow as well. So really I think people should be dating seriously for around 4-5 years before they get engaged. And then maybe be engaged for around a year to see if you are ready to handle the positive AND negative that come with being in a relationship. Because getting married and having kids can be very stressful times in relationships.

1|0
    2|0
  • The quicker you do it the more likely you are in lust and regret it later or doing it for all the wrong reasons.

0|1
    0|0
  • A year or two, bare minimum. Keep in the mind, the couple should live together before becoming engaged to see if they’re compatible like that. You can’t get to truly know someone in several months.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how long and well enough you both have truly deeply known eachother PRIOR to dating. But I'd give it at least 6 months or so.

1|2
    0|0
  • At least a year or two. Then you two have been through many situations in life to know each other more and go in with Clear Eyes and Full Heart

0|0
    0|0
  • 3+ years. I think people should take time to really get to know each other before thinking about marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • My fiancé and I have been together for five years and it is only now (November) that we are getting married.

0|0
    0|0
  • Engaged, two or three years depending on how well you know each other. Married, three to four years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Enough to get opinion about each other, too few to be bored

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be anytime.. .

0|0
    0|0
  • Even whole life is less

0|0
    0|0
  • 4-6 years

0|0
    0|1
  • Depends, my parents decided to get married 3 months after dating. It was even my Mom's first boyfriend

2|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes