What are your opinions on public marriage proposals?

I think they are a little cheesy. I’ve been taught to keep things a secret until you know for sure that it will work out. If my guy proposed to me in public, I would say yes regardless because I don’t want to embarrass anyone and also feeling pressured to say yes even if I really want to say no. I think proposals are more acceptable if they are private or with family or friends but not in front of strangers that don’t know your story. There’s so many public marriage proposal fail videos on the internet and I feel bad for those people who went through all that trouble just to get rejected in public. Why would you ask someone to marry you if you are not even sure if they will say yes anyway?

6186

Most Helpful Guys

• Deja Vu I've seen this question before.

Anyways I personally don't like it. I'm more of a private person so I would want to do it where there's not a lot of people around and it's just the two of us. Besides I think it's more romantic that way.

The only reason why I think some guys do it in public is mainly to pressure her to say yes.

Cause think about it, you have the public's attention and when he proposes the crowd is going to expect you to say yes. If you do say no it's gonna be awkward and embarrassing and who knows the crowd might even boo the girl for saying no.

• I never understood the custom. I asked my wife in private. I did a big celebration in public when she agreed, but I wasn't interested in making a public affair. And it had little to do with embarrassment, I can handle embarrassment (all my friends have seen me butt-naked already as a result of my former streaking tendencies when drunk). What I didn't like about the idea was putting so much pressure on her to say "yes". I wanted to get the "yes" absent such pressure.

• It is actually extremely rude in my opinion to put so much pressure someone in such a public setting to say "yes" to something they might not even want to say "yes" towards. Maybe some girls out there find that romantic, but I find it extremely rude.

• @Bluemax That's a rather bad-ass place to propose. If I were to ever propose in public, that's one spot I might consider... but otherwise lean towards private.

• It was recorded. He did it in one of the cells. When he got down on bended knee, the toilet came into view. It's actually pretty funny.

They've been married for about 15 years now (can't remember exactly how long).

Most Helpful Girls

• They're more than cheesy. Makes me think the guy is just super attention whore-y. Not to mention the awful amount of pressure it puts on the girl to say yes, because anything other than a yes will create a very awkward and embarrassing scene. It makes me wonder if they do that to coerce her to say yes haha. I know I'd have a hard time saying no just because I wouldn't want to cause a scene and hurt my partner's feelings in front of everyone. So I kinda feel the same way as you in that regard.
    I just don't think they're very tasteful. I think proposals should be more intimate and between the two people in the actual relationship, and not between them and a bunch of strangers. But whatever floats their boat, I suppose.

• I personally dislike being the center of attention so if someone would do that to me, I'd feel disappointed that they clearly don't know anything about me. For someone who really enjoys attention, that might be a lot less awkward. That being said I think it's a horrible situation to put someone in. Like you said, it puts a lot of pressure on the person being proposed to.