Do you think it's wrong to pressure a man into marriage?

Like if a woman keeps asking why he won't propose,, does anyone find this wrong or just me? It's wrong to pressure a woman into sex, but not pressure a man into committing to one person for the rest of his life.
Wrong to pressure a man into marriage?
Wrong to pressure a man into marriage?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It depends. A woman has to be up front. If getting married and having a family is her goal than she should voice that early in a relationship. So for example a guy is just looking for fun but nothing serious or if a guy intends to never marry they should both know what each other's long term goals are so they can realize they aren't compatible.

I'd say if a woman was honest up front that she is looking for a long term mate and marriage is what her long term goal is and if the guy says that is what he is a looking for too and if they end up dating 3-4 years, she has the right to smell a "bait and switch" from him and ask what gives.

It just depends on the circumstances, what they've already discussed and how long they've been together.

2|1
    0|0
  • women like to talk, have direction, as they have a clock ticking... every month an embryo is screaming in their body to live. It's a diff reality, so it's ok to ask, but an't pressure, can give timeline...

I like how the cave women did this years ago. She and her GFs would hookup a snare line, when one of the thugs would come around to whack them and drag them back to his cave, they would catch him! drag him back, build a fire and makeout. he wouldn't want to leave as she made a nice dinner of fresh berries and wild game!

That's how online dating worked then... lol:)

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Is that really pressure though?
    Making sure someone is on the same page as you in a relationship is important and that means keeping communication open even if it’s uncomfortable. If she’s asking why he won’t propose and he keeps putting her off then there is no point staying in the relationship.
    I don’t think that question is trying to make him propose right now; rather that it is on the table and a rough time line as to when and I don’t think that’s unreasonable. If she wants marriage and he doesn’t then that should be said so both people can find partners more suited to their goals

1|1
    0|0
  • Women have a window! It goes by in a flash! Ideally, if you want to be having children, you will want to do this before 35. Men like to establish a relationship, test the waters. Be in a long term relationship (5+ years) before committing. This is great when you are 20. You have time... but if that first long term relationship doesn’t work... or the next one.. you are facing 30 with aging ovaries. I would have liked to have children... but due to feet dragging, indecision etc. It’s just too late. Women- you have a right to ask where a relationship is going. It’s your life! Own it!

0|1
    1|0
    • Well men can date a younger woman

• Show All
    • You can change your name without getting married.

• 3d

Thanks for the MHG

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• That's not pressuring. That's expectations. If he is dating her knowing she desires' marriage the one in the wrong is not her, it's him. She has every right to EXPECT marriage. A woman should not have sex before marriage, have a kid, live with a guy and cater to his every whim like a housewife when she is not married to him. What your saying is entirely different. Your already pressured women into sex by expecting her to have premarital sex in order to marry her. And guess what? 9/10X you won't marry her or it will end in divorce anyway. God's way is always the right way. Make your intentions clear and well-known! Every boy and guy who ever tried asking me out have always been rejected because we did not share the same values, principals, beliefs, etc. This is why you don't date random strangers and getting numbers. This is why you don't going around chasing skirt [men] and going after men because he's HAAAANNNDDSOME and CUUUUUTTTTEEEE [Ladies]! Or go based on what's between your legs! Think and use your head and maybe nobody would go through this crap. I got hurt because of me believing what is right, while the guys I thought I hurt only got a girl in less than 24 hours just to throw it up and mock me in my face. Never again, I vowed to myself to be open to it ever again.

0|1
    2|2
  • I think it's quite right to pressure a man into marriage. But the woman shouldn't be the one doing it. Nor should it be the parents. And not even the closest friends. But the wider sociery, that the man belongs to should pressure him and even more importantly constantly remind him of the benefits of doing so.

Of course, these days marriage is very dangerous to a man. So there's still the question of the kind of society he and his soon-to-be wife are in. There should be a common value in the society to marry and stay tohether if at all possible. And it would help immensely if there's help in the form of education on how to properly uphold marriage and a healthy relationship for a long period of time. Most of us never got that and it's actually hard to find.

If the social environment is fine for that, then it's going to pressure the man even without words, as it is impossible to belong if you are not like everyone, married.

But, sadly, as it is common, the society will discourage marriage instead. And if you are in such an environment, I have to agree, that it is wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • While I am for gender equality, the way tho question is worded assumes that both genders are at an equal point. Women who upon marriage also have the biological cultural expectation of having kids dont get the luxury of waiting until their guy turns 40 and thinks "he's ready". Well actually technically women could, but egg freezing as a single woman is exorbitantly expensive and still shamed if you are not yet in a relationship. The point is, if you want to have kids a certain way, you dont want someone leading you on, wasting your time, Trying to equivocate quantity/quality of sex to the lifetime of memories, hardships, and new lives you will bring into this world.
    If a person won't commit to you because of fear of monogamy (as opposed to a well thought out polygamous rationale if it is their thing), they are immature attention seekers and lack emotional depth. They'll probably cheat on you anyways. There is so much more to life than how many sexual experiences you can have. Men have written plays, novels, depicted so many classic art forms of all of the emotions and adventures you can have that dont involve sex. yet sadly few of this new generation seems to have any comprehension of it.

It is also socially advantageous for women to be married, and if men felt the same pressures of what's its like to be in a long term relationship as women in "prime marriage years" maybe they wouldn't be as selfish, but more acknowledging of what a relief it would be to have society not constantly questioning whether or not you're good enough for a man to decide on something
    . its like telling your boss that you want a promotion because you deserve jt, but him/her not wanting to do it because it "costs more". But dont take it personally, its just a corporate thing. They still appreciate you. Who the heck would stay at that company if you can get a promotion (and maybe even a higher salary/raise) somewhere else? That "promotion" is marriage.

0|0
    0|2
    • I don't think most men have a "fear" of monogamy. I think they fear making such a comitment, only to be cheated on and devorced anyway. We see it all over with our fathers, family and friends. Marriage makes no difference, so what's the point.

• Show All
    • 3d

@AlphaGhost I don’t think it’s about self esteem. I waited around for a man to make up his mind. Unfortunately, a large part of society still considers women ‘easy’ or worse for living with a man before marriage. but men don’t get this crap!

• 3d

@Poppykate You are 35 I can understand your issues cuz now you have witnessed the cruelty of Modern so called Perfect system first hand,
      I think the old days were bad but not everything was like pure poison (right now) and we created the Devil trying to deal with Monster. I was with 3 ladies at once (I am not proud of it) and then go forward to dump 2(they were crying and actually loved me, I am gifted asshole in this field) but the last-one was crazy in love, no matter How much harder I try !
      She just simply loved me back and then I start to realize the gem I have in front of me... flash forward and now its been 5 years we are together. She is like the greatest thing that ever happened to me and GoD created us for eachother.
      Now I look back and I remember the things I did?
      You will think its normal for guys to dump woman but you don't now me and What I did, those weren't even some town shit either they are MD docs (I am MD too) BUT DO YOU KNOW WHY?

cuz the society have created this image of marriage as something holy for woman
      The Desperate ladies feel the need to get married and will do anything for a ring. We use them against them and femi should work on this problem. I am not suggesting you should BAN marriage and speak against every married lady like Feminazi but try to understand this problem.
      There are plenty of young woman that get trapped in the shit-hole cuz GUYS PROMISE THEM RIng and in old days the traditional system was Formidable alternative and it was very difficult to trap ladies but NOW,
      Only way to have it is to get your hands dirty and ladies will make huge mistakes for it. If marriage is that imp than introduce laws and do something to stop the guys from using it as ultimate weapon of attraction or accept it.
      I am seeing the girls at the age of 16 falling for the shit and ladies losing the virginity at 15-14 for this and this age number is going down very very fast, it was 15 in my days but probably will be 14 by now.

• If you have to pressure him, it means he doesn't really want to get married. And if he does give in to pressure, believe me, your marriage will be unhappy and short, except that you might be left with a baby. If he has to be pressured, it's not worth it. Find someone who will love you enough to commit to you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the level of pressure. I have known so many men who got married in the following manner: (1) Woman basically states she isn't getting younger and either put a ring on it or she walks (2) He calls her bluff (3) Its no bluff-she breaks up with his ass (4) Next thing you hear they are "back together" and she has the ring.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel like if you are in a relationship where you already live together and support each other and are at a point where marriage isn't going to change anything but your relationship is stagnant because he is already getting the free milk so to speak it might take some pressure for him to buy the cow

0|0
    0|1
  • By any measure if it were a woman asking the question overwhelmingly the answer would be yes it's wrong so by the same standards yes it wrong to pressure a man, pressure by any means is actually duress which in the west is a crime and automatically nullifies any marriage if pressure is applied by using the old, we have to break up or get married bs is coercion which is another crime of duress and again automatically nullifies the marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's wrong. I think pressuring a woman into marriage would be seen as wrong by most women. Just like a woman shouldn't be pressured into being a housewife, a man shouldn't be pressured into being a provider.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's wrong. She is only asking for what she wants. The man can decline. He is not forced to do it so it's not pressuring. Now if she was to get pregnant on purpose without the guy's knowledge just in order to keep him around that would qualify as pressuring. But nothing else does...

1|0
    2|3
  • Instead, the woman should make a basic statement such as... I love you. This relationship is not what I want it to be. I want to be married. I would like you to pick a date for the wedding. Take some time to think about it and we'll talk about it in two weeks... and be prepared to end the relationship if he doesn't want to get married and you do. Love yourself more than that and know that there is someone who does want to marry you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's wrong to be desperately in love to the point where all you can think about is taking the leap. But if you pressure a guy to do anything, he will be unhappy and less likely to want to do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude. Either a guy wants to get married, or he doesn't.
    What I'd tell a guy in this situation is this: Either you want to get married or you don't. If you do, propose. Otherwise say that you don't want to get married, then deal with the consequences (come to an understandin or compromise, or end it).

When others are pressuring you, you have to show resolve.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's wrong. It's nothing to do with sexism or anything, it's more of an individual thing. But still very rude, and may be a warning sign of abusive tendencies.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I wouldn’t feel comfortable marrying someone i pressured like that. People need to discuss these things earlier in the relationship so it doesn’t come down to this

1|1
    0|0
  • She is looking to start a family and only has so many years to do it.

If you are taking too long or wasting her time in that regard, she should ask to see if you will commit. If not, she needs to move on to achieve her life goals. It is too important not to ask.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you Know He is Not into Marriage, Don't Pressure Him Here, dear.
    I have Known Some, hun, Who are a Fat Cozy Cat and Lie in the Corner and just Settle for Convenience. Period. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont feel its pressure anymore if he says he's gonna propose by a certain time... then he doesn't... then more time goes by. Yea im gonna say did something change as to why u didn't propose

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on what you mean by 'pressure'. If you mean is it wrong for women to tell a man to marry them or they're leaving, then for the most part no. If that's what THEY want, then they should not have to compromise. And if the man does not want to marry her, then he should let her find someone who wants the same thing she does. It's extremely selfish to expect your woman to give up dream and desire for marriage just because you don't want to do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's wrong, all women around the globe since dinosaurs were fried are waiting for their sentence...

So.. this is an act of women as wrong as the courtship men do just to have sex. So, why judge women for be the smarter one and fool the sex maniac into a life time of punishment?

0|0
    1|1
  • No... it's a common and natural behavior woman have...

To ensure the survival of the younglings a woman needs to keep a man at her service to provide for shelter, food and protection.

Woman would even belittle that man so he stays submissive and stops being attractive to other female rivals.

0|0
    2|0
  • If a woman is pressuring a man into marriage it's because she's desperate to have that status as something to show off or because she's desperate for "stability."

0|3
    1|0
  • Yep. It’s a point on the article I published this day. damesthatknow.com/.../

0|0
    1|0
  • really depends, is there a kid?
    are you sharing bank accounts
    is everything even keel, or is one pulling more weight than the other,
    very hard to say... its very situation oriented

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s wrong. And if most likely won’t end up too well. It’s supposed to be a lifelong commitment but if he’s not reach for it, or isn’t sure he wants to make that commitment to you, then you’ll be hurt in the end.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it’s wrong! No one should be pressured into doing anything they don’t want to do.

1|1
    0|0
  • I dont think it's wrong but I do think it's foolish as it will likely backfire.
    As for pressuring a woman into sex, it's not wrong but foolish.

0|0
    1|1
    • I mean, personally it's very wrong to pressure someone into sex or anything. If you love anyone you should let them go at their own pace.

• Show All
    • How did I reply on the wrong topic.

• -- right restarting.

Yes, but that's the point of pressuring. Pressuring someone into sex is in some cases even illegal lol... Pressuring someone could be blackmailing them or manipulating them. It's seen as bad by social standards and it is bad.

• Yes its really bad idea if u do that
    If u keep talking to him about getting married finally or u give him the "ultimatum" marry me OR - he is gonna leave you ASAP i can guarantee that

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people need a little push or pressure.. but if it's a hard pushed or drag. perhaps it's not the right person.. always follow your heart but big pushes in the wrong direction could lead to resentment later if there is not the same dreams and desires from both.. you would have to ask why you want to be married and why they are dragging their heels... if you believe it's what you both want push away Hope it all works out.. heath.. wealth alwndnd happiness 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on so many variables. Why hasn't he? How long have they been together? Kids? How's the relationship they have?

0|0
    0|0
  • To pressure anyone into anything is wrong. People have free will to make their own chooses and people also need their own space.
    I think it would be a major turn off to a guy to force him into getting married.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's wrong to pressure anyone into marriage. If it's not the right time or the right person, then marriage should not happen. If you think it's the right time, then talk to them. Find out what's holding him/her back.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure, a serious discussion about it might be warranted, but haranguing the guy is bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's wrong to pressure anyone into anything. It's manipulative as fuck and going to end poorly.

0|3
    0|0
  • I think it's wrong to pressure the other person (man or girl) into marriage. Let people take their time otherwise they can end up in a wedding that they didn't want for real. That is a bad thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thought it was wrong to pressure anyone into doing or saying anything...

0|2
    0|0
  • Definitely wrong. She should just move on and find someone with similar relationship expectations as herself.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not just wrong to pressure a man or anybody into marriage.
    It's wrong to marry if you're the man.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's wrong to pressure anybody into marriage, sex or anything else.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s more wrong for anyone to allow themselves to be pressured into marriage.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course it's wrong not everyone wants marriage and forcing someone into it will be a sure way for it to end in divorce.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it’s wrong and any man in the present day wouldn’t get married unless he was an idiot.

0|3
    1|1
  • Once they have been intimate then it is hardly unjust as he has literally been inside of her. Does that not mean anything?

1|0
    0|1
  • Men WANT to get married... but not when everything is stacked against him. In most times and places it gave men religious political and economic authority to be responsible for his wifes well being. Now it doesn't provide any benefit whatsoever. Tbh in the usa i think any man who isn't marrying a religious virgin is a moron. There is no benefit. In fact there are many down sides. But women dont give a shit. y'all got two unique people to apply for credit and to hold and shield property from lawsuits and taxes! Its super beneficial to not get married. Once married you are one financial entity. Just buy a ring and call it a day.

0|2
    1|0
  • The woman can just propose you know, he can always say no of course but there is no real reason the man should propose, or be pressured to propose.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's wrong to pressure anyone into marriage.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|1
    0|0
  • Of course it's wrong, and any man with an ounce of self respect would boot her ass to the curb.

0|1
    0|0
  • They should break up because they want different things

0|0
    0|0
  • It's absolutely wrong and shame on those that do it

0|2
    0|0
  • It's wrong to pressure anyone into marriage. Pressuring someone to do something in general is wrong.

0|2
    0|0
  • The wording exposes bias. "pressure" "into". How about: "It it wrong for a woman to implore a man to accept marriage as the end product of their relationship within a reasonable time?
    Left to their own, women do not want a relationship to center on recreational sex and "making the scene". They have every right to expect marriage if that's what they want, insofar as they are willing to end the relationship unilaterally if this is not agreed to.
    In the world of my making and with certain logistical exceptions, it is reasonable that a productive relationship results in marriage in three years if a partner desires it. Otherwise one or the other is wasting time, treasure and heart.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes