Do you think public proposals are stupid?

I think they're because they put too much pressure on the person to say yes. And i think these things should be done in private.

That's just my two cents👍

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I know I'm more practical and logical for the most part for these questions then real world values intended. Proposals are weird for me. It came from a time when a marriage prepositional also included 2 pigs and an anchor of land or an army allegiances between families for an upcoming war.

Old values controlling things they never imagined. It seems like a really odd side step of political marriages and the expectations of a public proposal. The grandeur of the whole thing and the evolution of how it came to be. It's odd all around for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah. It's putting pressure on the recipient. If the plan backfires, then the proposer will get VERY embarrassed very quickly. I don't agree with sharing private moments publicly.

Simples...

0|2
    1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Personally, I'm cool with a public or a private proposal. Either or, I have no real biased or preferred feelings on them. They just are what they are. Some are cute/simple and others over the top. Overall, I think for me it would all depend on the creativity of it all. Not the flair/glamor or simpleness.

If my boyfriend proposed to me in a way that's special and showed he put a lot of thought and time into it. Whether the fact its public or not wouldn't matter. His efforts would. And I'd be grateful with either.

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s very risky and pressuring for the person been proposed to! I don’t find it appealing, I think if the relationship is of 2 people, why bring spectators who are stranger into the picture? I just don’t like the idea of public proposals. 🤦🏻‍♀️😩

0|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I find them cute, but personally, I wouldn't want to have a public proposal. As you said, its something too personal to be shared with a bunch of strangers.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I think it's a manly move because it means you're not afraid to show your emotions in public. A guy that says he's too embarrassed to show he loves his woman in public doesn't really love her. Or he's a super conservative who thinks that sex is evil.

0|0
    0|1
    • 11 d ago

Wow just wow. There are plenty of othrrways to show you're manly.

What a next sex on the street? Kissing in the supermarket to show love?

• I personally would not want a public proposal but everyone is different. Public proposals are okay if it is relevant to the relationship. For example, if your first date was at a certain restaurant and you wanted to propose at said restaurant because that’s where it all started then a public proposal would make sense.

0|0
    0|0
  • To each their own. But personally I'm not big on the idea of public proposals either as I'd find it highly embarrassing to have so many eyes on me at such an intimate moment... I also don't want strangers watching me as a sob fest!

If it's a public proposal with close friends and family witnessing I don't mind... though I imagine and prefer him popping the question to me alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think mosts of the people who do public proposals do it with either the assumption the other person will say yes or with the fear they will say no if they don't jazz up the proposal. I know a guy who made less money than a full time librarian who proposed to his girlfriend when they were vacationing in Paris together.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seeing people in love in public makes me want to throw up.

2|6
    2|0
  • No, it's totally about what the couple likes. Some things are a bit overkill but I won't judge that. I'm a more private person but I wouldn't mind either way. I even tear up when I see proposals on the jumbotron at a sporting event. Haha

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they're very sweet and the person proposing obviously cares about their partner very much to put such a huge amount of effort into the proposal. I only think it would be putting an unfair level of pressure on the proposed if they'd only been dating for a short amount of time most people would generally consider unreasonable to get married at, or if the relationship was going downhill and the proposer was using the proposal as some kind of last shot at redeeming themselves or the relationship.

0|0
    0|3
    • 11 d ago

I think you'll find most public proposals are for social media likes, YouTube views. Nothing else.

• 11 d ago

I disagree.

• I wouldn't say stupid, it can be risky though... It also makes for a great story to tell your kids and grandchildren I guess...
    But it depends on the couple... if you take it literally it is also a public proposal if you do it in a restaurant with fancy dinner... so... 🤷‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • only attention seekers do you have this, really pathetic

0|2
    3|0
    • 10 d ago

So you don't seek attention in anyway? Like having people celebrate your birthday with you?

• Show All
    • 8 d ago

Lol whatever u think

• 4 d ago

Attention is main driver

• It's the worst. Especially the dog-and-pony-show proposals that male such a big scene that it makes the other person have no choice but to say yes or look like an asshole to everyone else.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes because I feel like it should be either between just you and your partner or with close family and friends. If a guy proposed to me in public I would probably freeze and say no. But I'm sure many people would love it and think otherwise.

0|1
    0|0
  • If a guy did that to me id be pissed and say NO!

Its an intimate moment that i want special between me and him, not people i dont even know or that dont even know our relationship!

1|2
    0|0
  • It depends. I agree with you but I also think if the two people have talked about marriage & you’re sure they will say yes it’s so beautiful & sweet done in public.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's retarded. The only reason they do it is for the attention. What is magical about a public proposal? Seriously, what you everyone to witness it huh? Need an applause for getting engaged huh? It's dumb

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like public proposals are sorta like “we’re in front of a lotta people and it’s gonna be awkward if you say no.” And, that’s just dumb asf, putting pressure like that on someone. It’d be best to just to a nice, private one.

0|1
    0|0
  • A grand gesture is over rated, it should be done in private and comfort of both people. However, that being said. There are people who love the grand gestures and the insta worthy pictures and tag lines... each to their own...

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely. It is a private matter. If it is done publicly better be damn sure what the answer will be, or you will be showing up in late night comic's routines in the what-were-they-thinking category.

0|1
    1|0
  • I think it's too intimate moment to make it public. Personally I wouldn't like anyone to see this.

0|2
    0|0
  • I’m not comfortable with so many people watching that lol just because I’m a cryer so crying in public is embarrassing

0|0
    0|0
  • YES! Random strangers don't want to see your proposal and I don't want them to see it either.
    Why would strangers care that you're proposing to your girlfriend?
    No need to make a spectacle of it and involve random strangers in your personal life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on a lot of things. I dont like public things but if it makes her feel special then its ok. What I dont like is puting girls under pressure. I do agree with you on the pressure part and maybe these things are better off in private. At the end of the day it depends on the couple and how their relationship is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kind of.
    This type of display should be between the one proposing and his fiancee. Though, I wouldn't mind getting proposed in public or private. My answer will be a definite yes. It's him I want, not the ring.

0|0
    0|0
  • you're just asking to get humiliated if you don't know for a fact they are ready to settle

1|2
    0|0
  • I personally think they are stupid because it puts the other person in a position where they feel the need to say yes as to not embarrass you no matter their real feelings

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree. I think they should be done in private. But definitely make it special by getting down on one knee. Don’t just ask her in a casual way. Bring flowers... or a ring.

0|0
    0|0
  • No not really it could actually end up extravagant or the opposite the effort is what really tells the story but public notice does matter so if 1 even dare do such a thing they better have a thorough plan

0|0
    0|0
  • What happens if they say "No you stupid cheater, go suck an egg!" ?

0|1
    0|0
  • I always thought they were romantic but you do have a point. It puts pressure on the person to say yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think a proposal should be done in private because then you wouldn't have the peer pressure to influence your decision, and you would get an honest answer.

0|1
    1|0
  • It depends. If I was 100% ready then public would okay but if I had any doubts, I would completely hate it. What do you do... look around at all the people and say no, I don't want to marry him?

0|0
    0|0
  • Well i would like it if he proposed to me in front of our friends and family. I want to share that moment with our loved ones.
    but yeah I agree with you, not in front of complete strangers.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think its stupid at all. If I saw people doing it, most likely I will watch on and think what a wonderful moment they have. After she accepted the proposal I will silently pray for their happiness.

If she said no... I'd feel bad for the guy and I hope the public proposal did not cause him too much of an embarrassment in the public eye. Hopefully they will work things out privately.

She shouldn't feel pressured to say yes if she is not ready. Whatever her reaction is, at least he tried to rightfully honour her to be his wife and its sweet, not stupid.

0|0
    0|1
  • Well, stupid seems like a bit of a strong word, but I agree with your reasoning.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really stupid but more of a held a hostage ordeal vs the intimacy it supposes to be between two people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes cause it makes us both look like an ass. Put pressure on a girl if she says no makes her look like a bitch.

2|1
    0|0
  • I dont like public proposals. Not even for prom. I feel like if you going to ask to marry me I rather have it done in private.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are stupid especially when they're overly staged and dramatic. I am not against proposals in a public place but they need to be fairly subtle.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's part of the point of doing them in public, is to pressure the other person into saying yes. And it is dumb to do them in public.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think proposals, weddings, and marriage are stupid... but yes, public proposals are as well

0|1
    1|0
  • I think it depends on if you know what your partners answer is gonna be. Some couple have a lot of conversations about how they feel about marriage. Like with my sons dad we both already knew we wanted to get engaged. The only thing stopping us was him being able to afford the ring he wanted to get me. So when we went to our weekend kareoke bar, one of our mutual friends took me to the bathroom. We came out just to find his parents, my mom and aunt and all our friends there. That was such a big surprise. But I didn't know he had paid off the ring. He called me on stage, got on his knee, and asked me to spend the rest of our life together. It was beautiful and having our family and friends there to share the occasion was the best.

Now if we had never talked about marriage and didn't already know where we stood, I agree it would be too much pressure. But in my opinion a couple should have enough conversations about marriage to know where each other stands before proposing anyway.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes, I do. All the theatrics seem unnecessary to me.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't like it. A romantic proposals in private is much more my style. I don't like being the center of attention and would be very awkward for me

0|1
    0|0
  • If it makes them happy, I don't see why I should have a problem with them. I just personally wouldn't want it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the very VERY first time a boyfriend has the thought of marrying his girlfriend, he should tell her right away that split second.

0|0
    0|0
  • I find intimate private proposals even more romantic !

0|0
    0|0
  • I am the type of dude, who would get rejected publicly, thats just my luck lol I wouldn't do it

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is romantic to be proposed to in public because that means he/she isn’t afraid to be turned down or that he/she is brave enough to do it.

0|0
    0|2
  • Not the best idea, Proposal in Public around other people
    Definitely not good when you don’t like each other much

0|0
    0|0
  • I was at the dog park and one owner had his dog have the ring on her bow tie and proposed at the dog park.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes