Divorce = The institution of marriage failed the participants, or the individual participants failed each other?

I have been married and I am now divorced. I have some anger towards my ex because she gave up as soon as we encountered problems, rather than staying and working to find solutions. I do not blame the institution of marriage but I know that many divorced people do.

What is this institution and how did it fail? It is an agreement between two people to live together with the promise of faithfulness and the commitment to always work to keep the marriage alive and growing stronger. If that is a failed institution, tell me what about "marriage" has failed.

Marriages fail because people make bad choices about who to marry and they don't respect their promises to be faithful and to keep working on the marriage. I understand that everyone does not want the long term commitment; that's fine. . . but why would you get married if you don't want commitment?

What do you think about marriage?
I have never been married. Marriage is a failed idea that is unnecessary in our current society.
I have never been married. Marriage is a good idea for people who are willing to embrace the commitment required.
I am currently married. Marriage is a failed idea that is unnecessary in our current society.
Vote C
I am currently married. Marriage is a good idea for people who are willing to embrace the commitment required.
Vote D
I am currently divorced. Marriage is a failed idea that is unnecessary in our current society.
Vote E
I am currently divorced. Marriage is a good idea for people who are willing to embrace the commitment required.
Vote F
GirlGuy
9
26