When married should you help pay the other spouse's student loan debt?

My fiancee and I have been engaged for a couple of months now and have had a disagreement on the topic of debt. He has 120k liquid cash in his savings and has 33k in student loan debt that he's had for 7 years in which he is making minimum payments on and letting the loan accrue interest over the years because he doesn't like to put some of his take home pay towards student loans. I have 21k in savings and 18k in student loan debt and am paying down my debt and won't ask him to pay a dime because I feel it's my individual responsibility to pay. My fiancee wants to buy a house in the next couple of years. However, he thinks that I should help pay his debt since he will be putting most of his money towards a down payment on a house. How is it fair to help my spouse pay on debt that he chooses to let accrue interest when he can easily pay it off but decides not to?
Am I in the wrong?
14
9