My boyfriend doesn't want to do a cultural tradition at our wedding, but I really want to. Should I push it or should I just accept not doing it?

Shuri
My boyfriend doesnt want to do a cultural tradition at our wedding, but I really want to. Should I push it or should I just accept not doing it?
The tradition I want to perform is jumping the broom. So for those of you who are not black, jumping or hopping the broom is a tradition that goes back to Africa. It's an African tradition that slaves in America practiced where slaves literally hopped over a broom to symbolize their marriage together. It's a lot more detailed than that (has to do with warding off spirits and the woman committing to the house and husband and what not) but that's pretty much the gist of it. I just want to do it for tradition purposes, not the warding spirits thing.

Well, my fiance is white, and white couples don't typically do this. He didn't make a big deal about it, but we watched a few episodes of Bridezillas together where the couple did this. He asked me why the black couples were doing this, and I explained what it was. Well, he kind of grimaced and asked if he had to do that. I could tell he didn't want to, so I said no, but I really actually want to.

We aren't engaged or anything, but we've discussed marriage after I get my Masters (which should happen before next May). Should I press it or just not do it since I already told him we didn't have to?
5
4