Which of these two views of marriage do you relate to more?

Watch 2 clips before commenting

Out of Africa - clip 2Out of Africa - clip 3Karen (Streep): When you go away on Safari are you ever with someone else?
Denys (Redford): I'd be with you if I wanted to be with someone.
Karen: Do you ever get lonely?
Denys: Sometimes.
Karen: Do you ever wonder if I'm lonely?
Denys: No, I don't.
Karen: Do you think about me at all?
Denys: Often.
Karen: But not enough to come back.
Denys: I do come back, all the time. What is it?
Karen: Nothing. Brolin has asked me for divorce. He found someone that he wants to marry. I just thought we might do that someday.
Denys: Divorce? [laughs] How would a wedding change things?
Karen: I would have someone of my own.
Denys: No, you wouldn't.
Karen: What's wrong with marriage anyway?
Denys: Have you ever seen one you admire?
Karen: Yes, I have, many. Belfield's, for one.
Denys: He sent her home for the rains in 1910. Didn't tell her they were over until 1913.
Karen: It's not a joke. People marry. It's not revolutionary. There's some animals that mate for life.
Denys: Geese
Karen: You know you use the damn animals for your own arguments yet you won't let me use them for mine.
Denys: I mate for life. One day at a time.
Karen: I'd just like someone to ask me once, that's all. Promise me you'll do that? I promise to say no.
Denys: Just trust you, eh?
Karen: When you go away, you don't always go on safari, do you? You just want to be away.
Denys: It's not meant to hurt you.
Karen: It does.
Denys: Karen, I'm with you because I choose to be with you. I don't want to live someone else's idea of how to live. Don't ask me to do that. I don't want to find out one day that I'm at the end of someone else's life. I'm willing to pay for mine to be lonely sometimes, to die alone if I have to. I think that's fair.
Karen: Not quite. You want me to pay for it as well.
Denys: No, you have a choice, and you're not willing to do the same for me. I won't be closer to you. I won't love you more because of a piece of paper.
I relate to the Robert Redford character.
I relate to the Meryl Streep character.
I don't relate at all to either character.
Vote C
GirlGuy
12
1